April 29, 2024, 01:36:24 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Helping in deciphering my textbook?  (Read 1348 times)

Offline sun

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Helping in deciphering my textbook?
« on: January 12, 2017, 09:58:00 PM »
All right, so there's a figure showing the reaction of zinc metal with hydrochloric acid in a beaker open to the atmosphere at pressure P. Underneath the figure explaining the process, the textbook reads the following: "The beginning of the reaction. The constant pressure of the atmosphere has been replaced by a piston and weight to give an equivalent pressure."

The volume of the system has increased, so the piston and weight are lifted upward. Work was done. However, I do not understand what the textbook means when it says specifically, "to given an equivalent pressure." I believe there are gaps in my knowledge, and I'm misreading it.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Helping in deciphering my textbook?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 02:37:11 AM »
The constant pressure of the atmosphere has been replaced by a piston and weight to give an equivalent pressure."

The pressure that is now exerted by the piston is exactly the same as the pressure that was exerted by the atmosphere. Nothing more sophisticated.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links