April 28, 2024, 01:36:37 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Water-gas reaction minimum temperature?  (Read 4632 times)

Offline redbaron

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Water-gas reaction minimum temperature?
« on: May 31, 2006, 08:27:55 PM »
Hello,
I could not find the solution on google- does anyone know the temperature required for the water-gas reaction to work (C + H2O -> CO + H2)? Also, are there any catalysts which may improve the result or lower the reaction temperature?

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re: Water-gas reaction minimum temperature?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 09:54:53 PM »
Isn't the reaction CO (g) + H2O (g) <-> CO2 + H2 ?

It is known as steam reformation too.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 10:11:01 PM »
The water-gas reaction in particular is C(s) + H2O(l) ==> CO(g) + H2(g).  It needs 800°C temperature to work.

I found a cool movie of the reaction at http://128.104.70.28/demonstrations/Gen_Chem_Pages/06thermopage/water_gas_reaction.htm (for those who think it may be boring..it's not!  I didn't expect it to be exciting either, but apparently it's vigorous!)

And what geodome gave is indeed called steam reforming...it isn't water-gas, but it's VERY similar (equation wise, anyways)

And as for catalysts, apparently there are catalysts that can lower this temperature requirement to 283°C...if you have access to journals, you can read about it at White, E.C., Schultz, J.F.  Fused Cobalt Oxide as a Water-Gas Catalyst.  Ind. Eng. Chem., vol. 26, 1934, pp. 95-97.

And finally, these water-gas catalysts are apparent a HOT item right now, because they're applicable to fuel-cells (somehow).  Corporations are getting papers published after coming up with a few (and probably patenting them of course lol)...but this is a good article about them from Engelhard Corp: http://www.engelhard.com/documents/EC%20paper%20in%20Journal%20of%20Power%20Sources2002.pdf

And P.S. I think that article has been reproduced illegally by Engelhard Corp...I thought Elsevier became the owner of any submitted articles :P  Mod/Admin opinion on this?

Hopefully all this helps you out :)  Good luck

Offline Organishe

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +3/-0
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 11:19:32 PM »
cool video! Can't say I'd exactly be thrilled to carry it out in a semi-closed container like that, though  :o

Offline redbaron

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 05:51:48 PM »
The water-gas reaction in particular is C(s) + H2O(l) ==> CO(g) + H2(g).  It needs 800°C temperature to work.

I found a cool movie of the reaction at http://128.104.70.28/demonstrations/Gen_Chem_Pages/06thermopage/water_gas_reaction.htm (for those who think it may be boring..it's not!  I didn't expect it to be exciting either, but apparently it's vigorous!)

And what geodome gave is indeed called steam reforming...it isn't water-gas, but it's VERY similar (equation wise, anyways)

And as for catalysts, apparently there are catalysts that can lower this temperature requirement to 283°C...if you have access to journals, you can read about it at White, E.C., Schultz, J.F.  Fused Cobalt Oxide as a Water-Gas Catalyst.  Ind. Eng. Chem., vol. 26, 1934, pp. 95-97.

And finally, these water-gas catalysts are apparent a HOT item right now, because they're applicable to fuel-cells (somehow).  Corporations are getting papers published after coming up with a few (and probably patenting them of course lol)...but this is a good article about them from Engelhard Corp: http://www.engelhard.com/documents/EC%20paper%20in%20Journal%20of%20Power%20Sources2002.pdf

And P.S. I think that article has been reproduced illegally by Engelhard Corp...I thought Elsevier became the owner of any submitted articles :P  Mod/Admin opinion on this?

Hopefully all this helps you out :)  Good luck

Ah! Thanks a lot, sorry for the delay in response. I'm confused though, do you have any idea which Cobalt Oxide it is (there is cobalt (II) oxide and cobalt (III) oxide which both go under the same name). I suppose I could experiment with both, thanks for the *delete me*

Sponsored Links