April 29, 2024, 02:08:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reaction Mechanism (Bromonium ion?)  (Read 1791 times)

Offline RedsAreRaw

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Reaction Mechanism (Bromonium ion?)
« on: February 24, 2017, 12:38:22 PM »
Had a question:
"(i) How do you account for the fact that when allyl bromide is treated with dilute H2SO4, there is obtained not only 1-bromo-2-propanol, but also 2-bromo-1-propanol? (ii)In contrast, allyl chloride yields only one product, 1-chloro-2-propanol. How do you account for this difference between the chloride and the bromide?"

I was thinking for (i) the intermediate would be a bromonium ion and attack from water from either side. So for (ii) I wasn't completely sure why chlorine wouldn't do the same. I was guessing that it wouldn't hold the chloronium ion in a three-ring structure like bromine would be able to.

Thanks!

Offline orthoformate

• Mole Snacks: +14/-4
Re: Reaction Mechanism (Bromonium ion?)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 01:22:42 AM »
Had a question:
"(i) How do you account for the fact that when allyl bromide is treated with dilute H2SO4, there is obtained not only 1-bromo-2-propanol, but also 2-bromo-1-propanol? (ii)In contrast, allyl chloride yields only one product, 1-chloro-2-propanol. How do you account for this difference between the chloride and the bromide?"

I was thinking for (i) the intermediate would be a bromonium ion and attack from water from either side. So for (ii) I wasn't completely sure why chlorine wouldn't do the same. I was guessing that it wouldn't hold the chloronium ion in a three-ring structure like bromine would be able to.

Thanks!

I think you are correct.

Sponsored Links