March 29, 2024, 06:46:40 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Combined Salt System Solubility  (Read 2572 times)

Offline Sebastian.Trummer

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Combined Salt System Solubility
« on: February 06, 2017, 04:07:44 AM »
Hey Guys!

Currently working on a water management project for a gas field and our project partner is asking about the possibility of salt precipitations in the underground.

How do I calculate the solubility of salts in water under low T, high p conditions and (especially) in the presence of known concentrations of other salts?

In other words: How do I find out about NaCl solubility in water at 3000 m depth and 100 bar when there are already BaSO4, KCl and others contained in this water?

Kind regards

Sebastian

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Combined Salt System Solubility
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 04:48:54 AM »
AWK

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 06:18:36 AM »
Assuming a static water column up to the surface which isn't the case in a slug flowing gas well.

But, that's just an example. I'd like to know if you can recommend some papers about this topic / know some approaches/formulas for this problem.

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 06:22:08 AM »
@AWK: Sorry, didn't click on the link thought it was about the pressure.
Thanks, that's a good start. Do you also have anything about systems containing multiple salts / effect of temperature?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 06:42:50 AM »
There are many factors that influence solubility of solids or gases (temperature, ionic strength, common ion effect and so on). They are quite well known for chemists (chemical engineering, physical chemistry).
As you can see from the link given by me, the practical pressure influence is also a subject of geologist.
I do not know the problem in details but I think that you can find useful information in the literature concerning offshore oil drilling or the extraction of shale gas.
AWK

Sponsored Links