March 29, 2024, 06:55:40 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Palladium plated inert glassware Q's  (Read 9086 times)

Limpet Chicken

Palladium plated inert glassware Q's
« on: August 19, 2004, 08:00:35 PM »
Hey guys, I am thinking of buying some top grade RB flasks, and then inertifying them to chemical attack by wetting them with a solution of palladium chloride, draining the surplus (expensive) fluid out then rinsing with hydrazine to reduce the chloride to a layer of palladium metal, then repeating the process several times until a protective palladium layer has been deposited on the inside of the flask.

Would water interfere in this plating, or should a non-aqueous solvent for the PdCl be used, along with anhydrous hydrazine dried with NaOH/xylene and redistilled be used? I really don't want to mess this one up, because of A:using expensive chemicals, and B:hydrazine is nasty.

The vessels need to bee inert against both liquid HF and hydrofluoric acid,
if palladium would not bee suitable thugh, please let me know though as then I could use a gold compound to do my plating instead, I don't want to waste even a single milligram of PdCl or gold compounds of any sort though, as they are hellishley expensive, and I am not made of money by any means :-\

Thanks all.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:Palladium plated inert glassware Q's
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 10:47:20 PM »
If all the reactions are at room temperature, than the Pd coating will work fine.  At elevated temperatures, however, sulfuric acid and hydrofluoric acid will eat right through it.  Also, free fluorine gas will attack palladium metal.  At any temperature, Nitric acid will do a good job at eating away at the metal.  Also, free halogens will attack palladium at virtually any temperature.  If you want a good, inert coating, iridium plating will work very well as will platinum plating.  Gold isn't all that inert, so I would be very hesitant to use that as an "inert" coating.  
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 12:01:29 AM »
Gold isn't all that inert, so I would be very hesitant to use that as an "inert" coating.  

I was going to say the same thing about palladium.  Solid Pd(0) does plenty of reactions, although jdurg seems to be the expert here.

If you want to use HF, wouldn't it be much easier to use some sort of plastic flask?  I think that is the most common way to do HF reactions.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 12:43:25 AM »
Plastic would be the cheapest way to handle it.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Limpet Chicken

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 12:48:04 AM »
The reactions would be below room temperature, as they would be used to contain anhydrous liquid HF, I have heard that solid blocks of teflon can sometimes be found in old busted compressors for fridges that use CFC's.

I am considering fashioning a deep beaker for containing the HF, but I require some metal plated inert flasks for other reactions concerning fluorine chemistry, perhaps nickel carbonyl could be decomposed in a similar manner, although maybe not using hydrazine, I am somewhat wary of hydrazine+finely divided transition metals.

HF is bad enough as it is, even worse when its liquid,
but to withstand elemental fluorine, nothing but something GUARANTEED not to fail or break in even the slightest way is in order, have a read on www.lateralscience.co.uk to find out just why ;D (I would very much like to keep my nut-sack just where evolution intended it to be;D)

With fluorine, I take quality over price any day, I have a surprisingly strong desire to keep all parts of my anatomy firmly where nature intended them to be.

Just for sh1ts and giggles though, if I can manage to isolate elemental fluorine, then I am going to have a ready packed chicken on hand, because I want to actuall see first hand what F does to flesh (without getting electron-raped in the process) ;D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 12:52:12 AM by Limpet Chicken »

Sponsored Links