March 29, 2024, 08:12:49 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chapter 1 Problem  (Read 11261 times)

Offline dshipp17

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Chapter 1 Problem
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2017, 12:57:57 AM »
I made a mistake in referencing relative density; I was trying to solve a problem in my text book; that problem turned out to be about Archimedes's Principle and fluid displacement, and I solved it; that comes from putting a problem in a chapter that was not covered.

But, still need to know the title of that chapter.

Offline KungKemi

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
Re: Chapter 1 Problem
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2017, 01:19:47 AM »
If you might like a little bit more practice, I found the following question in my textbook (it is somewhat similar to this one):

An experiment was performed in which an empty 100-mL graduated cylinder was weighed. It was weighed once again after it had been filled to the 10.0-mL mark with dry sand. A 10-mL pipet was used to transfer 10.00 mL of methanol to the cylinder. The sand-methanol mixture was stirred until bubbles no longer emerged from the mixture and the sand looked uniformly wet. The cylinder was then weighed again. Use the data obtained from this experiment (and displayed at the end of this problem) to find the density of the dry sand, the density of methanol, and the density of sand particles. Does the bubbling that occurs when the methanol is added to the dry sand indicate that the sand and methanol are reacting?

Mass of cylinder plus wet sand    45.2613 g
Mass of cylinder plus dry sand     37.3488 g
Mass of empty cylinder               22.8317 g
Volume of dry sand                    10.0 mL
Volume of sand plus methanol     17.6 mL
Volume of methanol                   10.00 mL

What's the title of the chapter for this problem? Is it after chapter 1 of your book, provided it's a general chemistry book? Looks like this is a problem dealing with relative density.

It's Chapter 1 of my personal textbook - Zumdahl "Chemistry" 9th Edition. You shouldn't need prior knowledge of relative densities as the question asks you to find these.

Sponsored Links