April 25, 2024, 11:58:25 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Dyes with good 'hooks' such as carboxylic acid  (Read 3191 times)

Offline MCResonance

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Dyes with good 'hooks' such as carboxylic acid
« on: March 02, 2017, 03:33:33 PM »
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows of some dyes, preferably with photo-properties that allows the conversion of singlet oxygen, with carboxylic acid groups attached that could be used to 'hook' onto a hydrocarbon, specifically an olefin block copolymer. I am hoping to attach them covalently for a chemical bond, so the dye (photosensitizer) does not rub off.

Thank you in advance.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Dyes with good 'hooks' such as carboxylic acid
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 01:18:57 PM »
Hi, did you consider a primer or a surface treatment on your olefin copolymer? Preparing the polymer's surface uses to me more successful than choosing a better glue for polyolefins. Or would it be possible to add some sticky blocks in the copolymer?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 10:16:09 AM »
I think MCResonance is referring to chemical labeling of the polymer, not simply surface modification of processed specimens. For singlet oxygen sensitization you should try porphyrins. There are plenty of carboxylated forms in the literature. Ruthenium polypyridyl complexes (also easily carboxylated) are also efficient sensitizers, I believe.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline MCResonance

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 08:14:40 PM »
Thanks for your help. I am currently working with thionine. I believe that using cyanuric acid on an oxygen plasma treated INFUSE 9107 surface then submerging it in a solution of thionine could be a good option to pursue. They are all relatively cheap compared to most chemicals, and I want to keep my project as simple and cost-efficient as possible.

Sponsored Links