April 18, 2024, 09:47:58 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: At what temperature Pb will react with HCl ?  (Read 2420 times)

Zolotov

At what temperature Pb will react with HCl ?
« on: March 17, 2017, 09:05:31 PM »
Hi,

I have read that lead (Pb) is mostly unreactive with hydrochloric acid at room temperature. But what temperature do I have to reach to dissolve it in HCl and get a completely transparent solution?

And another question, how much will it take (in hours), to dissolve 200g of soldering wire (50% tin, 50% lead) completely in (30%) HCl ?

TIA 

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: At what temperature Pb will react with HCl ?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 08:12:34 AM »
What compound do you expect to get when lead reacts with HCl?  Can you look up its properties, and see the problem you may face?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: At what temperature Pb will react with HCl ?
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 09:34:44 AM »
To answer your second question, it's impossible to generalize. Rates of biphasic reactions depend significantly on, for example, the particle size of the solid reactant. I.e., lead in powder or shot form will react differently than lead in wire form or in large chunks. 200 g of wire in 18 gauge will react different than 200 g of wire in 22 gauge. Etc. This is something you'll just have to measure experimentally.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links