April 19, 2024, 04:52:13 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Nucleosynthesis of phosphorus  (Read 6908 times)

Limpet Chicken

Nucleosynthesis of phosphorus
« on: August 20, 2004, 11:11:54 AM »
Hi guyz, I have just had an idea, but I need some help, I wish to make phosphorus via a nucleosynthesis reaction, preferably neutron bombardment, I have been looking at beta decay of a few Si isotopes, the decay time is fast, within minutes in some cases.

I am thinking of 31Si, with a half life of 2.62 hours decaying by beta emission to 31P.
Natural sillicon is nearly all (92.2297%) 28Si  with 4.6832% 29Si and 30Si making up the remaining  3.0872%

Could 28Si be subjected to neutron bombardment untill it was transmuted up to 31Si along with the rest of the two natural isotopes?
And then from there left on it's ass in a metal lined box to take care of the beta decay for a day or two, using an inert atmosphere of course to protect the formed phosphorus.

Any comments are welcome, this doesn't seem like a dangerous reaction, as it only involves beta radiation, and most probably white phosphorus, which I am reasonably familiar with using, and moreover, quite practical as well.

If my proposed method wouldn't work for preparing the requisite silicon isotope, then input concerning the correct procedure would certainly earn my ever-lasting gratitude.

Sponsored Links