April 25, 2024, 02:07:43 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Oleylammonium Iodide Synthesis  (Read 3362 times)

Offline flick-a-bic

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Oleylammonium Iodide Synthesis
« on: March 14, 2017, 03:39:41 PM »
Hey I'm trying to make oleylammonium iodide
I have oleylamine (tech grade, 70% I think) and HI (57% wt). I put oleylamine and HI in ethanol at a 2:1 ratio. Let it react for a few hours, then rotovapped off most of the ethanol. I put the flask in an ice batch, a grease cake crashed out. I added ether and cooled that then vacuum filtered. Took the filter paper, redisolved in THF, and boiling off some of the THF currently to hope for a recrystallization on ice again. This process sucked in yield and purity.

How do I make oleylammonium iodide and get it pure? Please and thank you from a materials chemist.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
Re: Oleylammonium Iodide Synthesis
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 04:46:45 PM »
If the impurities in your oleylamine are other longchain alkylamines they will be very difficult to separate from the wanted product I think.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Re: Oleylammonium Iodide Synthesis
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 08:29:26 PM »
See if you can recrystallize the starting material (hexane? ether? cyclohexane?) to get it more pure. Also, do your recrystallization at the end in diethyl ether, not THF. These guys (DOI: 10.1002/adma.201503461) did it, but I've also done other work with charged alykl ammonium species and they tend to like to be recrystallized from ether for whatever reason.

Sponsored Links