April 25, 2024, 03:19:22 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to find out is substance is a solution  (Read 1905 times)

Offline bio123

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How to find out is substance is a solution
« on: April 03, 2017, 08:48:03 AM »
I have a science test tomorrow, :(, and I'm pretty sure that one of the questions will be on finding out whether a substance is a solution or a suspension. How can I find out whether a substance is a solution or a suspension in a test? Note: The substances will be everyday things, such as lattes etc.

I know that you can do this at home, by just making the mixtures and wait for sedimentation, or you can use the Tyndall effect, which for you who don't know, is when you shine a light at a suspension, the light gets scattered. However is there a way I can find out if a substance is a solution or not, in a test environment?

Offline KungKemi

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
Re: How to find out is substance is a solution
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 01:34:30 AM »
Understanding of how Brownian motion, the Tyndal effect, and particle size relate to the classification of a homogenous or heterogeneous mixture should be satisfactory.

KungKemi

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 02:55:04 AM »
Understanding of how Brownian motion, the Tyndal effect, and particle size relate to the classification of a homogenous or heterogeneous mixture should be satisfactory.

And how does it answer the original question?

To OP: there are no other, "special" methods - but the ones you have listed are typically sufficient. Sometimes they require a bit of additional equipment, then you have to either think in advance (and take whatever may be needed with you) or be creative (and improvise in situ).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 05:03:19 AM »
If this is a high school test will they expect more than clear = solution and cloudy/hazy = suspension?

Offline KungKemi

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 05:47:00 AM »
Just make sure that you understand basic methods for discerning a solution from a suspension (or colloid.) If the substance is a suspension then it would be expected that you could filter the 'solute' per say out of the mixture. However, if it is a solution then it would be expected that no solute would be caught in the filter paper, right? Also, if you had a flashlight you could use that to discern if the substance is a suspension or solution. There's probably other tests that you could employ which are very much applicable in the lab, or a home environment of which are only a Google search away.

All the best,
KungKemi

Sponsored Links