March 28, 2024, 05:11:29 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Which creates most CO2  (Read 5810 times)

Offline hotshot422

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Which creates most CO2
« on: March 30, 2017, 12:30:30 PM »
Hello,

1. If CaCO3 reacts with Soda (coca-cola for instance), juice and tea which one creates most CO2?

I have troubles with the reactions formulas and understanding why any of these would create any CO2, I think that reacting with juice it creates CO2 because it is acidic. Tea however i expect no reaction. And with coca cola it already has h2co3 in it and therefore not creating any co2 at all, or what would you guys say?

2. This raises the question to me, is this question related too why tooth paste is made of CaCo3???

Thanks a lot in advance for taking your precious time to help a fellow chemistrygeek in need.

Offline thetada

• Rhyming Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +18/-0
    • Rhyming Chemist
Re: Which creates most CO2
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 12:50:14 PM »
I wouldn't say cola doesn't create CO2 just because it already contains CO2. The gas would certainly be liberated because of the acidic ingredients you mentioned.

You'd need to know the molarity of the acidic contents to get the answer. The drink with the lowest pH is not necessarily the one that contains the most acid. Why not carry out an experiment to find out for sure?

Offline hotshot422

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 01:15:05 PM »
I would like to mention that im year in 8 and that molarity is not one of my strongest subjects, and probably not really necessary to know so.

1. Does coke create Co2 with CaCo3?

2. Does Tea create Co2 with CaCo3?

3. Does juice create co2 with caco3? And why,

This is what im struggeling with! :( and the tooth paste question is mostly because im interested.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 02:02:37 PM »
Hi there,  kindly review our forum rules, they're in red, at the top of each page.  You agreed to them when you signed up, and they apply to you.  You were given a grade 8 assignment by a teacher who believes that you can work to solve this problem, and we'd like to see you try.  What have you learned recently on this topic?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 05:38:12 PM »
With coca-cola, is there an other effect than acid acting on carbonate?

Offline hotshot422

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 02:57:31 PM »
Hey, yes

My guess would be H2CO3 + CaCO3 <-> Ca(HCO33)2

So no carbon dioxide is created, although i know that there is CaCO3 in our teeth, and when u put a teeth in a glass of coke it will "melt" in a few days.

With Juice, i do not know what chemistral thing it has, and i would guess no carbon dioxide is created, how would i even see if carbondioxde is created?

With tea, i think there will be no reaction.

This is how good i can do on my own! And then im stuck

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 08:46:54 PM »
Hey, yes

How did you come up with this?  Pretty much everything here is made up.  Is this from your textbook?  You've described calcium bicarbonate, which may not even exist.

So no carbon dioxide is created, although i know that there is CaCO3 in our teeth, and when u put a teeth in a glass of coke it will "melt" in a few days.

Did you perform this experiment?  I don't think this is true.  Did you read it in a textbook?
With Juice, i do not know what chemistral thing it has, and i would guess no carbon dioxide is created, how would i even see if carbondioxde is created?

You will have to solve that before you even begin, and you seem to have come to some conclusions already.  Where did they come from?

With tea, i think there will be no reaction.

Can you support that, based on what tea is made of?  Can you use that information to solve the rest of your problem?
This is how good i can do on my own! And then im stuck

I don't see how you're "stuck" you may not be correct, you may have come to the wrong conclusions, you may be ignoring some observations, but if you try to tabulate everything you know, you can write a very good report.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 04:26:56 AM »

How did you come up with this?  Pretty much everything here is made up.  Is this from your textbook?  You've described calcium bicarbonate, which may not even exist.

Looks to me like karst chemistry (apart from the obvious mistake in the formula).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline hotshot422

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 05:46:53 AM »
Hey again,

Is the chemical substances i should take into account, in tea, juice and coke:

CaCO3 + H2CO3  :rarrow: CaCO3 + H2O + CO2   , would this be a correct formula?   Thus CO2 is created,

And the more H2CO3 that reacts with the CaCO3 the more Co2 will be created, so if coke would create most CO2 it would surely be the worst for a "tooth" ?

Juice is also made up by 2 protonic Acid and will also create water and CO2. The more CO2 is created the more of the acid has reacted with the CaCO3

And with tea, i have no idea how to think.

1. Is my 2 thoughts on coke and juice correct?

2. How should i think "chemically" on tea?

Offline thetada

• Rhyming Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +18/-0
    • Rhyming Chemist
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 05:51:53 AM »
With tea try googling what the acidic species in tea are.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 05:55:43 AM »
With coca-cola, is there an other effect than acid acting on carbonate?
Sorry for insisting, but...
Dissolving something in a soda will release the dissolved CO2, and I expect this to overshadow the acid+carbonate reaction.

Offline hotshot422

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 07:18:03 AM »
Can you explain that a bit further?

1. There is the reaction CO3^2- + 2^H+ => H2O + CO2 ,

2. U said something about dissolved CO2 how do you mean? And is this the explanation why soda is worse for teeths, or juice worse?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 07:21:49 AM »
CaCO3 + H2CO3  :rarrow: CaCO3 + H2O + CO2   , would this be a correct formula?

You do know that if something is on both sides of the equation, it can be canceled out?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline hotshot422

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2017, 07:32:22 AM »
Okay yes, that is true. I cancel that out. However,

Is it juice or soda that creates most CO2? thus being worst for our teeths? and how can i determine that, it is the same reaction for both juice and soda. however, Some1 else mentioned something with dissolved CO2? How would that help me explain where most CO2 is created!!

Offline hotshot422

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2017, 07:38:58 AM »
So basically where i stand,

I know 2H+ + CO32- => CO2 + H2O

for both juice and soda, however, i do not know how determine which of these 2 creates more CO2,

Sorry for bumping the thread, but just to clarify where i stand right now!

Sponsored Links