April 19, 2024, 04:47:49 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ionic bonds and temperature  (Read 3937 times)

Offline Aymeric

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Ionic bonds and temperature
« on: April 01, 2017, 06:04:08 AM »
Hello,

My biochemistry teacher explained that ionic bonds are sensitive to pH and temperature.
If the pH rises, I understand that the extra protons can bind to the cations and thus make them lose their negative charge, which ends the attraction between them and the anions (please correct me if I misunderstood).
But for temperature, I don't really see in what way it could affect the attraction between the anions and the cations. Can temperature alter electronic charges?

Maybe it's just a mistake in my notes and I mixed up with hydrogen bonds, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for your help.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Ionic bonds and temperature
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 08:16:12 AM »
Hello on this forum too, Aymeric!

About the temperature: ionization can need energy. For instance 2×H2O :rarrow: H3O++OH- is very uncommon for pure water at room temperature. It happens only because from time to time, some molecules get enough energy from heat. A warmer temperature makes it less improbable, so you observe more ions.

Offline Aymeric

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Ionic bonds and temperature
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 06:13:07 PM »
Thank you Enthalpy for your quick answer (are you on the 'chemistryhelpforum' too?).
I'm sorry I didn't phrase my question correctly. What our teacher seemed to say was that temperature can break hydrogen bonds, and ionic bonds can be broken by pH [and temperature] (I'm not sure about the part between brackets).

If I understood your explanation correctly, the warmer it gets, the easier ionic bonds will form. But what about temperature breaking ionic bonds? Is it correct?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links