April 23, 2024, 02:53:34 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Binding Energy and Solvation  (Read 1776 times)

Offline DonkeyHody1

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Binding Energy and Solvation
« on: April 10, 2017, 11:54:49 AM »
I'm doing a computational lab about binding energy and comparing different methods of solvation. What does positive and negative binding energy signify? Half of the places I look say the more positive the binding energy the stronger the interaction between the molecules. Other places say the more negative the binding energy the stronger the interaction. Which is correct?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
Re: Binding Energy and Solvation
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 12:19:05 PM »
Would you provide some more context to this question?  By binding energy, I wonder whether you are discussing the binding of substrates or inhibitors to enzymes, but that's just my conjecture at this point.

Offline DonkeyHody1

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 12:31:30 PM »
We're evaluation acetic acid and water hydrogen bonding. It's a computational lab.
To get the binding energy were taking the energy of acetic acid + energy of water - energy of acetic acid and hydrogen bonded water

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 06:04:02 PM »
So you are looking at the dissociation of the water•acetic acid complex (reactant) into its free components (products).  I would say that if ΔG were positive for this reaction, it would indicate that the complex is more stable than the components, and the magnitude of ΔG would provide how much more stable the complex is.

Sponsored Links