April 19, 2024, 01:29:40 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Explanation of Macro-Cyclic Effect Example  (Read 3306 times)

Offline AdiDex

• Mole Snacks: +16/-12
Explanation of Macro-Cyclic Effect Example
« on: April 14, 2017, 03:43:05 PM »
In most of the books, the reason of Macro-Cyclic Effect is given that It occurs due to Preorganised Structure of macro-cyclic ligand .
But a proper explanation of these two particular examples isn't given anywhere (even in the book from I've read it).

I've come up with the following explanation -

Cyclam has just a proper size for bonding, therefore it is stable due to its Bond Enthalpy, But it's a big molecule so It should have more Degree of freedom. For a proper bonding, it has to be in some particular conformation out of many other conformations. So it is an entropically disfavored molecule.
But in case of Cyclen, Its ring is small so its bonding isn't that good as compared to cyclam but since it is a smaller molecule so there should be less no. of possible conformation, So statistically achieving that particular conformation isn't that hard for Cyclen.

I don't know why ? But it's not satisfying me , Am I making some mistake (overlooking something important) ? Or Is it correct ?

Offline AdiDex

• Mole Snacks: +16/-12
Re: Explanation of Macro-Cyclic Effect Example
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 01:08:09 PM »
Is my question irrelevant or  foolish ? No one answered it .

Offline vikram

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Explanation of Macro-Cyclic Effect Example
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 01:10:41 AM »
Hi AdiDex,

Read supramolecular chemistry book by Atwood and Steed. You will get answer for your question.

If you need further help, post it.

Sponsored Links