March 28, 2024, 05:08:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: The Future...  (Read 8009 times)

Offline beheada

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
The Future...
« on: June 06, 2006, 08:15:16 PM »
I wasn't sure where to post this, so I put it here.

Basically I've accomplished my first year on my way to a major in chemistry. I'm thoroughly confused because I don't have anyone to talk to here and the one person who has been giving me advice seems like they are sending me on a route that is going to take too much time and effort and not put me in the best place for my career goals.

I want to get involved in research and build experience as soon as possible, but I don't know how to get involved with research projects, nor do I know if I have the experience or education level for them yet. Someone referred me to the NSF, but on their webpage I can't find anything specifically categorized for chemistry.

What is my best route to take to get my BS out of the way while still being able to get research experience?

Right now it's difficult because I have to work fulltime as well, 8-5...  Will there be jobs available to me coming out of my sophomore year of college where I can possibly make enough money to live AND still build my resume?

Thanks in advance for any help concerning this topic.
-Justin

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re: The Future...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 09:25:49 PM »
Read the chemistry faculty webpages. Find one whose research is interesting read there latest paper and all the references within. Go to there office have a conversation about it, bring many questions and then ask if they have space for you in there lab. That's an easy assured formula for getting any undergraduate research position you want.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: The Future...
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 11:55:24 PM »
Some schools offer scholarships or stipends to undergraduates who do research, however, when you start doing research, it will likely have to be on a voluntary basis only.  Summer internships at chemistry-related companies may also be available in your area if you ask/look around. 

If you plan on pursuing a career in research, doing research as an undergraduate is very important.  One of the most important factors which graduate schools look for in applicants is research experience.

Sponsored Links