April 24, 2024, 08:50:40 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Plasma lamp safety  (Read 8976 times)

Offline ATMyller

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-6
Plasma lamp safety
« on: June 07, 2006, 07:45:52 AM »
I had a weird idea of getting one of these touch sensitive plasma lamp. As far as I know those thing run on high frequency alternative current with over kVolt of electric potential inside the noble gas filled class sphere.
Has anybody any info about safety of those things. Do they produce static for electronics like computers and TVs and how much do they create static electricity. I'd hate to have kVolt running throught my body if I happen to get grounded while touching the computer's case with my feet.

Chemists do it periodically on table.

Offline Will

• Organic Dude
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-2
Re: Plasma lamp safety
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 10:22:50 AM »
I don't have one of those things, but I know that when you put something like a coin on the top and hover your finger just above it it'll give you a horrible electrical shock- I've done it before, and its not too dangerous, just painful. If you hold your finger there for long enough it'll give you a black burn on your finger. I don't recommend you do that!

If you just want to see the sparks then you can hold onto another coin and hover it just above the coin on the plasma lamp thing.

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
Re: Plasma lamp safety
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 09:06:03 AM »
Or, alternatively, you can rest one hand on the lamp, and poke someone, I did this on school outings, to shock people, was pretty funny, not a severe shock, just a bit of  a nasty jolt.
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Sponsored Links