April 28, 2024, 09:03:32 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Functional groups  (Read 3041 times)

Offline sun725

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Functional groups
« on: May 11, 2017, 09:00:20 AM »
I have this molecule, and I have to identify the various functional groups present

http://imgur.com/a/jvwXh

I want to know what's most correct to say: Heterocyclic amines or Benzofuran is okay? Also, I have marked the last functional group but I struggle to call it? If the diiodide wasn't present I'd call it simply a Phenol. Hope someone can clarify this for me.

Thanks in advance!

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
Re: Functional groups
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 09:15:40 AM »
Where do you see heterocyclic amine? If you have two iodines on a phenol you simply call it a diodophenol. Benzofurane and ketone looks OK.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 02:55:50 PM »
More correct would be 4-hydroxy-3,5-diiodophenyl.

Offline sun725

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 03:19:34 PM »
Thanks a lot. However, I think they only want the functional name and not the IUPAC here.

I do have another question that I hope you or another can help me with. I also have to answer what kind of characteristic reactions there are for each of the mentioned functional groups.

I'm not sure I know what that means?

Offline sun725

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 03:20:27 PM »
Functional group** Not name ...

Offline sun725

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 12:46:04 PM »
Anyone who can help? I just can't seem to understand the question of what kind of characteristic reactions there are for each of the mentioned functional groups.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 03:53:52 PM »
Your questions are so broad as to be very difficult to answer. The last one about characteristic reactions can be answered in many, many ways. Phenols, aryl ketones, and iodobenzene for instance all are very common reagents used in a million different ways each day across the world. benzofuran a little less so, but it still is a common substrate that would generate many thousands of hits on a google scholar search for its chemistry.

If you saw one of these functional groups individually, whats the first reaction that uses it to pop into you head? I think thats what they are asking.

Sponsored Links