March 28, 2024, 03:18:35 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Staining question  (Read 3999 times)

Offline Clinho

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Staining question
« on: April 10, 2017, 03:34:40 AM »
Please recommend a stain suitable for dyeing of polysaccharides. I'm trying to distinguish chitosan from alginate, both bound onto a synthetic poylmer surface, but absolutely no stain binds to chitosan.

So far I tried eosin Y, methylene blue, calcofluor and a couple of fluoresceins. What other stain might be useful?

Offline Clinho

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Re: Staining question
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 03:27:58 AM »
Nothing so far, tried also safranin and crystal violet but no results.. Anyone might have a suggestion?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 06:07:20 AM »
Ahem ...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=chitosan+differential+staining

I'm sorry to do that to you, I truly am, but your question is at the same time, highly specialized and yet, chitosan nanotech is quite the hot topic, so its often mentioned in peer-reviewed literature.  You don't even need access to these documents -- I found 3 or 4 options just on the Google page.  So see if any of them help you.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 08:17:53 AM »
Also, I've moved this topic to another subforum, and you should use the hint to direct your search.  Alginate is found in seaweed, chitosan is a component of chitin, found in arthropod exoskeletons or terrestrial fungi.  There's not much, if any, biological need for differential staining.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links