April 19, 2024, 12:21:04 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How would you test for these gases?  (Read 12462 times)

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re: How would you test for these gases?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2006, 10:02:58 PM »
NO2 also has that "stuck in traffic behind an old beat up car with no catalytic converter" smell to it.  Kind of smells like bleach, but it distinctly different.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline bramgo

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
Re: How would you test for these gases?
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2006, 11:40:41 AM »
Oooo cool :o! But isn't that cheating :P!? I think  jgaoxx06 wanted to know about a specific chemical test for NO2 and oxides of sulfur. My teachers wouldn't have been too impressed if I told them that a test for these gases was to test them with specific kits which test for the gas in question! ;)

- You are right, it is a bit cheating maybe. Allthough it was my prof who told me to do it like that. :)

- However I heard there's a more impressive way of doing it:
When reactions take place there are photons exchanged (Chemoluminescence). There is a cool theoretical function to know how much light is emitted. (People familiar with electronics will probably know something more about this. I think it's also related to the working of Light Emitting Diodes. I recall something like that from my earlier studies.)
In short... You could let NO react with ozon (O3) for instance. It will emit light. This can be measured with a photodetector.

Sponsored Links