March 29, 2024, 04:13:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Buying Chemicals off E-bay  (Read 19998 times)

Offline P-man

• Mole Snacks: +13/-17
  • Join Smart People for a better future...
    • My Website
Buying Chemicals off E-bay
« on: March 06, 2006, 07:42:32 AM »
How do you buy chemicals off e-bay? Where do you find them? ???
Pierre.

Fight for the protection of our envrionmenta and habitat: http://www.wearesmartpeople.com

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
Re:Buying Chemicals off E-bay
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 12:14:00 PM »
Nowadays, the right category seems to be:
  Business & Industrial / Health Care, Lab & Life Science / Lab Supplies / Lab Chemicals

Note that some suppliers may have an 'eBay Store' besides the normal auction listings.

There used to be some kind of 'science' category much closer to the top of the tree than there is now.  It has been a while since I bought anything off eBay (mainly element samples), and they used to be a lot easier to find.  I wonder if eBay has become 'disapproving' of 'dangerous' stuff.  Dave Hamric once told me that they griped about things like sodium metal.

Offline woelen

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +40/-2
  • The art of wondering makes life worth living...
    • Science made alive
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 10:42:18 AM »
Finding chemicals from eBay is not that difficult, but this only is true for USA and Canada residents. If you perform a search on eBay for a chemical name, then for quite some compounds an item pops up. Unfortunately it is always in the USA and they only ship to Canada or the USA.

Finding elements is a little easier, at least for the less dangerous ones (metals, except the alkali and earth alkali metals and mercury). Elements like selenium and tellurium also can be obtained.
Want to wonder? See http://www.oelen.net/science

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 01:57:30 PM »
Bee careful, ebay and paypal bend over backwards to kiss the arse of LE, order something suspicious, even for legit purposes, and you might well get a visit from the pigs, if you order anything remotely clandestine friendly, don't order it to your own place.
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline P-man

• My Website
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 06:11:03 PM »
What sould I do then? Mail it to a friend or something? My dad's work? Grandfather?
Pierre.

Fight for the protection of our envrionmenta and habitat: http://www.wearesmartpeople.com

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 05:17:41 PM »
Thats what I do, send it to someone I know in the US, who manually reships it.

"Cant" ship things, is a bunch of bulls&$#, WON'T ship, is more accurate.

Pricks.
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline P-man

• My Website
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 05:31:17 PM »
But what kind of stuff do they not want to ship?
Pierre.

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 06:15:01 PM »
I've always just shipped stuff to my real home address.  But I live in USA, if you don't that may be a problem.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 04:44:21 PM »
I hope you realize Mark Kness that some chemicals are monitored by the government. Large purchases or frequent purchases can cause red flags especially with terrorism. I believe sulfur, iodine, pseudoephidrine, and various nitrates are all things that will cause red flags for reasons ranging from bombs to drugs.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline joeflsts

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
  • Ten fingers.. ten toes... PHEW!
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 09:25:23 PM »
I hope you realize Mark Kness that some chemicals are monitored by the government. Large purchases or frequent purchases can cause red flags especially with terrorism. I believe sulfur, iodine, pseudoephidrine, and various nitrates are all things that will cause red flags for reasons ranging from bombs to drugs.

You correct and so is Mark.  If you do the research you will learn the "threshold" of each "watched" chemical.  Anyone reaching the posted thresholds has most likely moved from hobby chemist to manufacturer.

Read the regs, not on a forum, but on the actual publishing site and educate yourself (last comment posted to all).  Most of the "warnings" on this and other forums is inaccurate and fueled by paranoia.

Joe

Joe

Offline P-man

• My Website
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 07:11:02 PM »
Thanks for everything. Now I can buy chemicals off ebay in relative safety ;).

Pierre.

linus

Re: Buying Chemicals off E-bay
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2006, 05:42:18 AM »
I don't think e-bay is a good place to buy chemicals.

If you are in europe search the catalog of reagents4research.com

Regards.

Offline alancj

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2006, 06:03:39 PM »
Bee careful, ebay and paypal bend over backwards to kiss the arse of LE, order something suspicious, even for legit purposes, and you might well get a visit from the pigs, if you order anything remotely clandestine friendly, don't order it to your own place.

Do you know this from experience?

But is that true for eBay? I would think that individual sellers would need to participate in that kind of monitoring. I can see it being true for other professional online chemical sellers. Or, perhaps the "government" monitors every transaction on eBay, keeps a record of all items of interest, and then you get "flagged" if they find that you buy over a threshold? Is there any evidence of this? Or is it mere suspicion?

Just curious,
Alan

Sponsored Links