March 28, 2024, 05:08:03 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Mounting a GC column  (Read 3026 times)

Offline Cantacoxinha

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Mounting a GC column
« on: June 08, 2017, 10:53:52 AM »
I'm mounting a capillary GC column to the instrument for the first time, and I am not sure how deep I should insert the column into the "holders" which connect the inlet (with a liner, where the sample is introduced) and exiting port (which is connected with a FID detector). Consulted the instrument manual, but there is no information. Is there some general rule of thumb when doing that?

Offline Sebastiao

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Mounting a GC column
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 09:24:51 AM »
brand and model of GC?

Offline Cantacoxinha

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 10:49:32 AM »
SRI 8610GC

Offline Cantacoxinha

GC headache
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 10:50:21 AM »
I'm a complete noob in GC, and I'm supposed to do some investigation for which I have to prepare the calibration curve of four standards according to a published procedure.

So I installed a new capillary column in the GC instrument in our lab, and I tried to analyze the mixture of the standards. When I inject MeOH, I get a huge stretching solvent peak which exits for approx 10 minutes (??), and when I inject the mixture (1 g/L of each compound in MeOH) I get this (pic).

Tried changing from splitless to split, changing the temperature regime, adding less concentrated mixture, changing the speed of the carrier gas but still nothing... The column is brand new MXT-5. The detector is FID. Is it some kind of a leak, or improperly installed column? Any advice?

Offline marquis

• Mole Snacks: +35/-3
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 10:07:08 AM »
Please double check.  Is each of the standards actually there at 1g/l???  No other dilutions?

Sponsored Links