March 29, 2024, 03:38:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Bronidox (5 bromo 5 nitro 1,3 dioxane)  (Read 3410 times)

Offline Peterr

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Bronidox (5 bromo 5 nitro 1,3 dioxane)
« on: June 10, 2017, 02:34:49 PM »
Hi there. I had a question for you guys. I work with bronidox on a daily basis at work and ive always heard that it is corrosive to metals. What exactly makes this substance corrosive?

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Bronidox (5 bromo 5 nitro 1,3 dioxane)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 07:08:47 PM »
Welcome, Peterr!

I could imagine (just a hypothesis) that the metal takes the bromine away from the carbon to build a metal bromide.

I had a similar case when using a freon containing chlorine, maybe trichlorotrifluoroethane, I don't remember exactly. Nice as a grease solvent, but I wanted to clean a satellite with it, including aluminium surfaces. After wiping the aluminium 10 times, 20 times with a special ultra-clean white cloth (for semiconductor processing) and freon, the cloth was still grey - until the seller told me this Freon corrodes aluminium.

Offline Peterr

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Bronidox (5 bromo 5 nitro 1,3 dioxane)
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 11:43:15 PM »
That is a very interesting point that you bring up. I was also pretty sure it had to do with the bromine in this compound. It seems as though some other organobromides aren't deemed as corrosive, so that kind of threw me off. Thank you so much. I really appreciate your input!

Sponsored Links