April 18, 2024, 07:26:37 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Vant Hoff  (Read 2005 times)

Offline FabioAceRod

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Vant Hoff
« on: June 12, 2017, 01:52:31 PM »
Hello, I'm having a very basic problem . To calculate de i (vant hoff factor) you do so by the number of ions that come from the molecule in question. But how do you know what Ions are coming . For example NaCl I know that it makes Na+ and Cl-  so its 2. But I know that from experience in other excercises with NaCl, but I think theres a very basic highschool level way to determine that right? (I need chemistry 101 in college but never had a lot of basis before sorry for the noob question) 
Another example is CaCl2 >Ca2+(aq)+2Cl- what?! where does that 2+ come from? why is it 2

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Vant Hoff
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 02:04:27 PM »
I am not sure what your question is - are you asking why calcium chloride is CaCl2 and not CaCl or CaCl3? Or are you asking why CaCl2 dissociates into Ca2+ and 2Cl-?

In a way in both cases the answer is: properties of calcium (and other alkaline earth metals) are such that calcium is always bivalent. This is the effect of its electronic configuration and position on the periodic table.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links