March 28, 2024, 04:04:18 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemical reaction between silver and aluminium  (Read 6765 times)

Offline Khai

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chemical reaction between silver and aluminium
« on: June 14, 2017, 02:41:35 AM »
Hi guys,

I'm working on combustion with mixture of silver and aluminium. But I'm having problem on the mechanism since I'm clueless about the chemical reaction between the mixtures. Because Al + O2 = Al2O3, if silver is involved the reaction, how would be the chemical equation?
Please help me  :(

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Chemical reaction between silver and aluminium
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 06:26:35 AM »
I am not aware of any reaction "between silver and aluminum". I wouldn't be surprised by some mild oxidation of silver in high temperatures though, and quick googling confirms existence of Ag-O-Al bonds in Ag/Al/O mixtures, but they are non-stoichiometric and their amount will for sure depend on the sample history (ie method of preparation).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 03:16:46 PM »
Or could a small amount of Ag let Al burn more easily by spoiling the oxide layer on Al? Similar to the effect of Ga, then.
Or is it a silver oxide that reacts with metallic aluminium, in a thermite reaction?

Offline Khai

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 11:42:10 PM »
Or could a small amount of Ag let Al burn more easily by spoiling the oxide layer on Al? Similar to the effect of Ga, then.
Or is it a silver oxide that reacts with metallic aluminium, in a thermite reaction?

Thanks for the ideas. Actually the second question has been in my mind for a long time  ??? But still no answer.
For the first one, no idea on the effect of Ga. Mind to share a little bit to give brief idea? Will do more research later on.

Thanks a lot.

Offline Khai

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 11:59:37 PM »
I am not aware of any reaction "between silver and aluminum". I wouldn't be surprised by some mild oxidation of silver in high temperatures though, and quick googling confirms existence of Ag-O-Al bonds in Ag/Al/O mixtures, but they are non-stoichiometric and their amount will for sure depend on the sample history (ie method of preparation).

Thanks for the ideas. I was thinking about the mild oxidation but to find the justification is a challenge.
Anyway, the Ag-O-Al bond that you mentioned, based on method of preparation, I can't understand well. May I have more explanation?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links