March 29, 2024, 11:35:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: denticity  (Read 2856 times)

Offline Vargulf

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
denticity
« on: July 04, 2017, 03:36:42 PM »
Hi,
I need some help with an assignment. I have to draw in all atoms from the gallic acid, which are able to bond to metal cations, which of those oxygen atoms are able to bond with metal cations?
Another question is, what the denticity of the Gallic acid. I guess it is two, because it can bond with two oxygen atoms at the same time with a central atom. Is it right?Please help me.

Thank you

Online Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
Re: denticity
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 10:31:18 AM »
Your drawing on the left is missing a carbon atom.  The carboxylic acid functional group can also be a ligand to a metal ion.

Offline Vargulf

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 12:08:31 PM »
Thank you so much. Do you know what the denticity of this compound is or do you know a way to figure it out? If so your help would be very appreciated.

Online Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 07:46:39 AM »
I have not heard that particular term before, but it might mean the number of sites on the molecule that can bind to a chemical species.

Offline Vargulf

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 07:56:10 AM »
Thank you very much.

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 09:31:41 AM »
Hi,
I need some help with an assignment. I have to draw in all atoms from the gallic acid, which are able to bond to metal cations, which of those oxygen atoms are able to bond with metal cations?
Another question is, what the denticity of the Gallic acid. I guess it is two, because it can bond with two oxygen atoms at the same time with a central atom. Is it right?Please help me.

Thank you

Gallic acid has 5 Oxygens On it and 4  Oxygens of OH have lone pairs.They all are electron donor Sites for any Metal ion.So its density is 4.

Sponsored Links