March 29, 2024, 06:44:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemical reactions during the process of vitrification  (Read 3553 times)

Offline vvarmbruster

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chemical reactions during the process of vitrification
« on: February 20, 2023, 10:11:54 AM »
 Hello!

I'm writing a essay on the process of vitrification as an alternative to the disposal of High Level Waste and other applications of glass in chemistry. I have alredy written about the process itself and its stages, however my essay lacks a chemical reaction with reagents and products which may occur in the process of vitrication.
 I've looked through a couple of papers, but they mostly talk about the process itself and not the chemical reactions envolved in it, or they just cite some oxides which can be used.
 So, could you guys please provide a source and bibliography which describes chemically the processes?

Thanks!

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Re: Chemical reactions during the process of vitrification
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 11:12:36 PM »
Vitrification is generally a change in the state of matter, i.e. a liquid turns into a glassy solid. By definition, this is not a chemical reaction.

A reaction is A + B = C.

In vitrification A = A. Now you can get cases where monomers are converted to a polymer which then vitrifies.

Your question is roughly the equivalent of "my essay lacks a chemical reaction with reagents and a product for water freezing." I think you can see the issue.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Chemical reactions during the process of vitrification
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 06:48:20 PM »
Is it conceivable that other economic sectors misuse the term "vitrification" for an operation where a glass is added to the waste? Mentioned at least there
  fr.wikipedia
which tells that the misnomer is usual for waste
  fr.wikipedia

This opens the door to true chemical reactions, like silica and a metal oxide becoming a silicate.

Sponsored Links