March 28, 2024, 04:14:24 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Is it possible to get into a decent PhD program with my background?  (Read 5818 times)

Offline raul.carmo

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi everyone, I have two questions regarding application to "small" M.S programs within the U.S

I took the GRE test for the first time and got the following result (the GRE pdf file is attached):

Verbal Reasoning 149
Quantitative Reasoning 151
Analytical Writing: 2.5

I am not from the U.S and have never studied for the GRE exam before, so my grades were not good. However, I´d like to apply to small M.S programs so I can build a decent CV before applying to PhD programs. Do you think it´s possible for me to enter any M.S program in Chemistry with those scores or would you recommend me to take the test again? I want to retake it but it is so expensive and there are a few test centers available in my country, so that´s why I´m considering to send the score as is.

The second question is regarding my previous education,

I have obtained a master´s degree in Inorganic Chemistry in my home country this year, but unfortunately I couldn´t make any publications out of it. For this reason, I´d like to apply to a second M.S degree program and build a better CV. Would you recommend me writing that I already have a MSc degree in my application? I can think of two scenarios if I write them I already have a master´s: the first one, they would be more confident about my skills to engage in research and that would help me in the application process. The second, the admissions comittee would not accept me since I already have a Master´s in Chemistry and would ask me to apply to the PhD program (unfortunately, I have been denied in two PhD programs I´ve tried because I do not have publications).

I apologize if there is any mispelling or errors in my sentences, I wrote this in a hurry (and in english haha).

Just in case, these are the programs I wish to apply:

Auburn University
Brandeis University
Bucknell University
Colorado State University
University of Minnesota
University of Utah (although is a very good program)
Texas A&M

Offline raul.carmo

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Is it possible to get into a decent PhD program with my background?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 12:18:02 AM »
Hello everyone,

I am applying to dozens of chemistry graduate programs in the US right now but I wonder if my application has any chance of being accepted by a top 50 program.

My GRE scores are: V-160, Q-154, AW 3.0

TOEFL: 113/120

GPA: 3.1 general, 3.6 in chemistry

I have been involved in research since sophomore year in college and I hold a MS degree in chemistry, but my home institution is small and unfortunately I couldn't make any publications out of it, only presentations in small symposia. I can also get 3 good letters of reference from faculty members and my advisor. Another plus in my application is that I have studied one year in the US as the recipient of a scholarship (studying abroad is really rare in my country) and receive other small scholarships throughout my 'career'.

Is there anyone who have been in a similar situation and got in a decent PhD program? Do I stand a chance?

ps.: my research interest is in the field of organometallic catalysis and new synthetic methodologies

Offline Raphael

• Mole Snacks: +5/-0
Re: Is it possible to get into a decent PhD program with my background?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 02:33:38 PM »
What do you count as a "decent" program? I know people with lower scores than you that are in graduate programs, but how good they are is up to a little bit of debate.

Offline orgo814

• Mole Snacks: +11/-6
Re: Is it possible to get into a decent PhD program with my background?
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 03:45:07 PM »
This is a late reply but I don't think your new GRE scores (V- 160, Q- 154) would keep you out of most good Ph.D programs since you have good research experience. Your undergrad GPA of 3.1 is a little bit low but with the high major GPA, that may be fine. I think you stand a chance! I do think that getting a second masters would be silly if your ultimate goal is to get a Ph.D.

Sponsored Links