April 27, 2024, 05:53:50 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reproductibility Issue in Cyanocuprate synthesis : Any help?  (Read 5180 times)

Offline stevejee

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Reproductibility Issue in Cyanocuprate synthesis : Any help?
« on: November 06, 2017, 08:53:24 AM »
I've been working on 1,4-addition of Cyanocuprate recently, but having a hard time with reproductibility issue.

Brief procedure is the following :

1. Lithium wire(Flame-dried under Vaccum pump) + Alkyl bromide(-OTBS is there, but still a simple Bromide)

2. CuCN(1equiv, Flame-dried under Vaccum pump) + Solution from 1(2equiv)

3. Add Starting material material in solvent(Ether or THF)

Sometimes, It works fine. Nice Deep-yellow colored Cuprate solution is formed, then reaction works fine.

Otherwise, It turns into Turquoise to blue-colored solution and Starting material remains.

Originally, I thought that water was the problem and flame-dried both Lithium and Copper Cyanide.

Copper cyanide which is used in our lab is not that green-colored, so I think it's safe to think that Impurities in commericial reagent is negligible.

I still couldn't figure out what exactly the problem is.

Is there any factor that I've missed out? Or It's just that my experiment skill is not good enough?

Offline pgk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +97/-24
Re: Reproductibility Issue in Cyanocuprate synthesis : Any help?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 11:33:21 AM »
What did you use: lithium wire + Alkyl bromide or lithium chips prepared from lithium wire, in situ + Alkyl bromide?

Offline stevejee

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 12:52:12 PM »
I used Lithium wire, with >98% purity, high sodium.

Wire was washed with Hexane, cut into several pieces before introducing into Rbf with Magnetic Stirrer, sealed with septum, then flame-dried under vaccum pump.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 01:06:53 PM »
Oxygen exclusion? I'm not sure I see a way in which oxygen would affect this reaction though.

Offline pgk

• Chemist
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 01:40:43 PM »
Well done but it is critical to thoroughly filter the prepared organolithium solution because the side product LiBr will deactivate the CuCN by forming a CuCN.2LiBr complex instead of the desired RCu(CN)Li.
Besides, the remaining traces of metallic lithium may deactivate the 1,4-addition substrate.
On the other hand, excessive filtering (e.g. through a thick glass wool filter) might lead to significant loss of the prepared organolithium reagent.
The Preparation of n-Butyllithium, J. Am. Chem. Soc., (1949), 71(4), 1499–1500
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ja01172a510
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 01:57:29 PM by pgk »

Offline pgk

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 01:48:19 PM »
Oxygen must be excluded for safety reasons because finely divided lithium is highly flammable, as well as to avoid any oxidation of the unsaturated substrate.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 02:48:27 PM »
finely divided lithium is highly flammable

It is quite flammable even in large chunks :)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline stevejee

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 07:57:44 PM »
Well done but it is critical to thoroughly filter the prepared organolithium solution because the side product LiBr will deactivate the CuCN by forming a CuCN.2LiBr complex instead of the desired RCu(CN)Li.
Besides, the remaining traces of metallic lithium may deactivate the 1,4-addition substrate.
On the other hand, excessive filtering (e.g. through a thick glass wool filter) might lead to significant loss of the prepared organolithium reagent.
The Preparation of n-Butyllithium, J. Am. Chem. Soc., (1949), 71(4), 1499–1500
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ja01172a510

Oh...I didn't knew that LiBr deactivates CuCN. I guess that's why it was not working sometimes.

Is there any published paper mentioning that LiBr inhibits 1,4-addition of cuprate? If there is, I would like to know.
Thank you for kind replying.

Offline pgk

• Chemist
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 10:56:22 AM »
I do not know this but what I know is that cyanate anions easily form complexes with metal salts, alkali halides included and that CuCN·2LiCl is a commercial product. As a consequence, any formation of the similar CuCN·2LiBr that is insoluble in organic solvents, will be competitive to the formation of the desired RCu(CN)Li.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 12:35:49 PM by pgk »

Sponsored Links