April 18, 2024, 02:14:09 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Radon gase and gold  (Read 5203 times)

Offline Karkzu

• Mole Snacks: +4/-2
Radon gase and gold
« on: July 20, 2017, 05:54:41 AM »
Hi all, can someone help me about radon and gold reaction? I am looking for scientific articles about this topic but I didn't find anything.

Radon is a toxic gas if you want to turn into non-toxic radon (more safety) in that case you have to use gold element. I learned this issue from my master. However, I can't access any data. I am searching scientific articles and first of all, I am looking for  scientist who research with this topic (radon gas etc)

I'll be glad if you can help me on this one ...

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 06:08:30 AM by Karkzu »

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: Radon gase and gold
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 06:52:21 AM »
Radon is an radioactive Nobel gas.  This cannot be made safe by using gold or any other metal. That is the reason you cannot find anything about it.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 11:50:51 AM »
Not to mention the fact noble gases are quite difficult to react, just like gold is.

No idea where this idea came from, but it is wrong on many levels.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Karkzu

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 01:07:43 PM »
Yes, you're right according to theoretically information, but what I mean, was experimental studied about this topic by the anyone? I think, probably nobody did it. As you know, unexpected things may happen in science. I just expect you to guide me on this one. (any scientific article, any conference, any book, any one etc)

Offline Karkzu

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 10:37:33 AM »
By the way
 there is a complex that Xenonotetragold. Xenon is a noble gas but it can react with PtF6 or Au. Also Radon is more reactive than Xenon because ionization is lower so there may be a reaction between Radon and gold. 

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 10:49:45 AM »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 12:39:48 PM »
Gotta admit, its damn impressive to take two of the least reactive species on the periodic table and convince them to bond.

OP is a bit confused though. its the square planar AuXe42+ not vice versa. Its hard enough to get 1 valence electron off of xenon, the idea of a stable molecule with 4 missing is beyond the pale.

But yes, radon cannot be made safe, its radioactive.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 08:42:35 AM »
Radon is still radioactive in a molecule, but radon (and its decay products) is harmful mainly in our lungs.

Is the goal to immobilize radon in a solid, at a place where it doesn't harm? Then I'd suggest to keep it as a gas, just well enclosed. I have proposed a storage for 85Kr there
https://www.scienceforums.net/topic/61737-krypton-85-in-our-atmosphere/?do=findComment&comment=642229
A few weeks storage suffice to convert radon to solid daughter decay products.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 10:52:49 AM »
Gotta admit, its damn impressive to take two of the least reactive species on the periodic table and convince them to bond.

Thing is, it was long theorized that Xenon would possibly react, even though it was a noble gas.  The atom's large size shielding it's nucleus and allowing compounds to form.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_gas_compound#History_and_background  And then, reacting those compounds to get others.  The problem with radon is, just because its larger, doesn't mean its more reactive: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_gas#Physical_and_atomic_properties  Furthermore, its short half-life interferes with us noticing the compounds.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links