April 28, 2024, 12:53:34 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: A question regarding ionization constants of strong acids  (Read 5380 times)

Offline Organishe

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +3/-0
  • I'm a mole!
A question regarding ionization constants of strong acids
« on: June 11, 2006, 09:08:42 PM »
Hello all,

Something I have wondered for a while is why is there such variation in the reported values of the pKas for strong acids? For example, in one of my organic books, it is reported that the pKa  of HI in water is -10. In another book, it is reported as -7, and in yet another it is -11. I have found the same thing for HCl and HBr in various books.  For a weak acid such as acetic, though, the value listed is nearly always the same to a couple of decimals.  So why is there such variation? If I had to guess, I would say because it is a strong acid, the amount that remains in the unionized form is so small that experimental error has a significant effect on the result.

In many cases its not like it would matter, since it is so strong to begin with. Just curious....

Thanks all,

Eric

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: A question regarding ionization constants of strong acids
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 02:40:54 AM »
If I had to guess, I would say because it is a strong acid, the amount that remains in the unionized form is so small that experimental error has a significant effect on the result.

This, plus fact that some of these constants are not determined experimentally, but calculated using approach similar to Born-Haber cycle.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline dls

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 10:14:02 AM »
Take into consideration that the reading of the pH electrode, when less than about 1 and when more than about 13, is more semantic than real.  See also a book by the late Prof. J Ricci "Hydrogen Ion Concentration."

dls

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 04:08:50 PM »
Also check out our "pKa values" link to your left in the menu
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Sponsored Links