March 29, 2024, 06:42:00 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Writing a Paper  (Read 1765 times)

Offline Barc-Barco

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Writing a Paper
« on: August 09, 2017, 05:37:34 AM »
Hi!

I’m currently doing my IB Chemistry EE with the topic of Anaemia

I’m investigating the effects of putting iron objects in food while cooking to see if that raises its iron content.

I got the idea from http://www.luckyironfish.com/ a project started a couple of years ago to treat anaemia in Cambodia.

I’m having trouble with a research question for this, as I don’t quite know what to focus in on.

I thought I’d try to replicate the experiment with just a piece of iron; placing iron nails in a pot of water to see if the iron content would go up, and do my EE as an evaluation and comparison of both the Lucky Iron Fish and ordinary pieces of iron

But the one dead end I had was that I didn’t have a way to measure the iron concentration of the water.

I thought what I would do is pump the water with air to make Ferrous (II) oxide, as Fe II is the best absorbed form of iron. Then I would use colorimetry to measure the concentration but I need at least one sample of FeO with a known concentration so that I can perform the calculations.

What are your thoughts on this, and are there any other ways to find the concentration of Iron?

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
Re: Writing a Paper
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 01:03:15 AM »
You can oxidize Fe in the given sample of water and determine its amount  with redox titration.

Sponsored Links