April 26, 2024, 02:29:18 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: oxidation number of hydrogen  (Read 2870 times)

Offline Remah

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
oxidation number of hydrogen
« on: August 28, 2017, 09:24:21 PM »
what is the oxidation number of hydrogen in a given compound that contains three elements (metal, a non-metal and hydrogen) ? is it will be H+ or H- ? for example - NaBH .

Thank u  :)

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: oxidation number of hydrogen
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 09:36:47 PM »
Greetings, Remah:, I'd like to welcome you and all the new students to the Chemical Forums.  But I'd like to as you to trouble yourself to read our Forum Rules{click}. You already accepted them when you signed up for our forum, and they apply to you, whether you agree with them or not, or even if you're unaware of them. 

We want to see your work, and then, we want to give you hints, so that you learn for yourself.  Unfortunately, what you've asked us for is a simple definition.  I Goggled the answer in just a few seconds, and you likely have a textbook, with an index, that will lead you to the answer shortly.

Why not try salvaging this thread by coming up with an example question that uses this or similar concepts, and seeing if you can solve it.  You will need this practice when exam time comes.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 10:28:19 PM »
what is the oxidation number of hydrogen in a given compound that contains three elements (metal, a non-metal and hydrogen) ? is it will be H+ or H- ? for example - NaBH .

Thank u  :)
Check how H behaves in the presence of metal and in the presence pf non -metals.Do you know anything about hydride ion ?

Offline Flatbutterfly

• Mole Snacks: +7/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 11:22:45 AM »
Find in your text the two ways to assign oxidation numbers in TM cmplxs.
Use the less common one for M-H or E-H.

Offline Flatbutterfly

• Mole Snacks: +7/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 01:04:09 PM »
The second method is that the pair of electrons in covalent bonds is assigned to the more electronegative element.  See what happens in HF, H2O, NH3 versus "BH3", NaH

Sponsored Links