April 16, 2024, 04:39:44 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question regarding why certain elements when combined form the products they do  (Read 4291 times)

Offline Imjustthatguy

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-2
Hello,

I'm currently teaching myself General Chemistry due to being stuck between two majors of either Business Administration or Biochemistry, so to prepare myself for the next semester of college I figured if I don't enjoy teaching myself chemistry I doubt I'll enjoy studying it. Well so far for the past two weeks I've been really enjoying it due to understanding how certain compounds are formed, however I've been having a hard time understanding why. Why and how is super important for me to grasp anything, as I like to reduce anything to its simple state which allows me to understand how the whole works.

My current knowledge is up to oxidation and redoxing (I've been following Professor Dave and Khan Academy as a teachable source) and I'm having a hard time understanding how chemist know what compounds will react with another compound theoretically. For example, when I see a formula NaCl(aq) + AgNO3(aq) => NaNO3(aq) + AgCl(s) I am puzzled on behalf of understanding how a scientist first came up with the idea of combining these substances. As I see that NaCl is an aqueous I assume they must of thought they had to break up the elements from their dipole stage to their ionic stage this way it gives freedom for them to form a new elemental compound and in this sense AgCl being the result, but what made them assume to even combine these substances to begin with? Will I learn this knowledge in General Chemistry, or is this only a field perspective for a PhD in research?

I also saw that there is a lot of Gold in the ocean and scientist haven't figured out a way to financially extract it. I would love to learn how I can some how some way come up with a theoretical solution that can result if I actually did an experiment (which I really don't want to). Is there a way to understand the properties of these elements that I will know AgCl will combine to form a solid without experimenting? Is there a mathematical understanding to this as well? Knowing all elements have a X vibration so perhaps if they are combined with certain other elements they form a specific number of energy that results into their state?

Is it do to the pressure of our earth, knowing that anything can become a gas, liquid, and solid?

As much as I'm learning terminology and formulas, I really want to understand how and why these combinations of elements form the state of matter they do.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Hi there, Imjustthatguy:, I know you've been here on the Chemical Forums for a while now, and you've mentioned you're trying to learn some chemistry on your own.  But I'd like to remind you to trouble yourself to read our Forum Rules{click}. You already accepted them when you signed up for our forum, and they apply to you, whether you agree with them or not, or even if you're unaware of them. 

Our rules suggest that you not ask question in a stream-of-consciousness-style word soup.  You raise many points, some complicated, some just plain wrong, and its so much work to dig through, many of our regulars just won't bother.  I'm glad to start to help, but I hope my efforts impress on you the benefit of being succinct.

Let's go through what you've given us, to see what we can learn:

Hello,

I'm currently teaching myself General Chemistry due to being stuck between two majors of either Business Administration or Biochemistry, so to prepare myself for the next semester of college I figured if I don't enjoy teaching myself chemistry I doubt I'll enjoy studying it. Well so far for the past two weeks I've been really enjoying it due to understanding how certain compounds are formed, however I've been having a hard time understanding why. Why and how is super important for me to grasp anything, as I like to reduce anything to its simple state which allows me to understand how the whole works.

Uh.  Yes?

My current knowledge is up to oxidation and redoxing (I've been following Professor Dave and Khan Academy as a teachable source) and I'm having a hard time understanding how chemist know what compounds will react with another compound theoretically.

Khan academy is a good resource for beginners.  And reduction/oxidation (called re-ox for short) is a pretty advanced topic.  But we can help you get there.

For example, when I see a formula NaCl(aq) + AgNO3(aq) => NaNO3(aq) + AgCl(s)

A good simple reaction.  Note: no red-ox happens here.

I am puzzled on behalf of understanding how a scientist first came up with the idea of combining these substances.

Interesting concern.  You've gone back into the early chemist, when things were not as rigorous.  You might as well question the first caveman to wear a top hat.

As I see that NaCl is an aqueous

In that formula it is, but NaCl isn't aqueous all the time.

I assume they must of thought they had to break up the elements from their dipole stage to their ionic stage

Urm.  No.  You're using the wrong definitions here.  This is the problem with word soup postings, we have to correct half truths and non-sequiturs and it all doesn't say much of anything.

this way it gives freedom for them to form a new elemental compound and in this sense

Sure.  But what does this mean to you?

AgCl being the result,

but what made them assume to even combine these substances to begin with? Will I learn this knowledge in General Chemistry, or is this only a field perspective for a PhD in research?

Uh.  Caveman.  Top hat.

I also saw that there is a lot of Gold in the ocean and scientist haven't figured out a way to financially extract it.

Annnd, non-sequitur.

I would love to learn how I can some how some way come up with a theoretical solution that can result if I actually did an experiment (which I really don't want to).

No.  No, thank you.  (Sorry.  Fixing that just wasn't worth it to me.)

Is there a way to understand the properties of these elements that I will know AgCl will combine to form a solid without experimenting? Is there a mathematical understanding to this as well? Knowing all elements have a X vibration so perhaps if they are combined with certain other elements they form a specific number of energy that results into their state?

Yes, but this is a highly advanced topic.  Most people do instead conduct experiments for cases like this one.

Is it do to the pressure of our earth, knowing that anything can become a gas, liquid, and solid?

No.  (Again, fixing that is above my current pay rate)

As much as I'm learning terminology and formulas, I really want to understand how and why these combinations of elements form the state of matter they do.

Hrm.  Ok.  Simple reactions, such as this one, are generally simply memorized.  Its kinda expected in the sciences that we'll all decide to build a personal database of things inside our own brains that we can use to help us with other, more complicated work.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +320/-22
You wrote, "I figured if I don't enjoy teaching myself chemistry I doubt I'll enjoy studying it. Well so far for the past two weeks I've been really enjoying it due to understanding how certain compounds are formed..."  I applaud your enthusiasm, but you are setting the bar very high for yourself.

With respect to this particular question, are you familiar with Le Chatelier's principle?

Offline Imjustthatguy

• Very New Member
@Arkon, if I were to major in Biochemistry and obtained a job would I have to work with people like you?

Offline Imjustthatguy

• Very New Member
You wrote, "I figured if I don't enjoy teaching myself chemistry I doubt I'll enjoy studying it. Well so far for the past two weeks I've been really enjoying it due to understanding how certain compounds are formed..."  I applaud your enthusiasm, but you are setting the bar very high for yourself.

With respect to this particular question, are you familiar with Le Chatelier's principle?

Nope, haven't gotten to that level of understanding yet. I assume at that level I would grasp it? To make my topic more simple, will I obtain any understanding I am seeking in General Chem? Or will I be stuck with just knowing formulas and terminologies without truly understanding the fundamentals of why and how certain molecules are formed (theoretically; i.e. without experimentation)?

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
General Chemistry should give you basic understanding of fundamentals (and the reaction you have listed is perfectly explainable in terms of GenChem). There is a lot of fine print however.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Imjustthatguy

• Very New Member
General Chemistry should give you basic understanding of fundamentals (and the reaction you have listed is perfectly explainable in terms of GenChem). There is a lot of fine print however.

That fine print part, is it obtainable with Khan Academy education (i.e. Gen Chem, Organic Chem) or am I stuck pursuing a masters or a PhD? For instance I ask these questions because I'm fascinated on how a group of scientist can create toothpaste for example. I would really love to learn how they came up with that chemical formula to specifically go against 1. Bad breath 2. Kill bacteria. I also would love to learn this because I am just fascinated by life in general.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
@Arkon, if I were to major in Biochemistry and obtained a job would I have to work with people like you?
You would be lucky to work with someone as smart and focused as Arkon.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist

Nope, haven't gotten to that level of understanding yet. I assume at that level I would grasp it? To make my topic more simple, will I obtain any understanding I am seeking in General Chem? Or will I be stuck with just knowing formulas and terminologies without truly understanding the fundamentals of why and how certain molecules are formed (theoretically; i.e. without experimentation)?
General chemistry does cover Le Chatelier's principle, and IMO the reaction you mentioned can be analyzed within its framework.  It's a very broad principle, and one that I invoke in teaching biochemistry on occasion.

Offline Imjustthatguy

• Very New Member
Thank you for your responses. This forum can be closed if you so choose. As for working with people like Arkon, to each his own.

Sponsored Links