April 25, 2024, 02:54:13 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Synthesis of N-Methylbenzamide  (Read 2349 times)

Offline Brooks

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Synthesis of N-Methylbenzamide
« on: October 07, 2017, 06:55:37 AM »
Hello hello,

Can anyone give me some pointers on how I would go about synthesizing N-Methylbenzamide? I'm thinking of buying benzene and acetyl chloride and synthesizing acetophenone via Friedel-crafts acylation. But I'm not really sure how to continue from there, and whether that's the best course of action in the first place..

Much appreciated  ;D

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
Re: Synthesis of N-Methylbenzamide
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 07:50:04 AM »
Is it not better to buy benzoyl chloride and methylamine? Or  buy the N-methylbenzamid straight off?

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 09:30:35 AM »
I agree with rolnor, what is the goal here? Its a very simple chemical that is commercially available, or can be made in one step using other easy commercial materials. Starting from benzene is just making extra work and expense.

Heck, you could even start from benzoic acid and methylamine.

Also, whenever methylamine comes up, I start assuming people are hunting to meth advice (I know you aren't rolnor).

Offline Brooks

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 11:53:11 PM »
The goal is just that, to detail a synthesis process for N-methylbenzamide from simpler components. I'm just a complete scrub in chemistry and, from my point of view, i''m not sure which pathway to go. So I was hoping to get some recommendations on efficient pathways from more experienced chemists. Even some links to relevant resources would be nice.

Although what you've already given me is pretty good, thanks :D

Edit: figured out the methylamine + benzoyl chloride pathway, i'll stick with that
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 02:26:50 AM by Brooks »

Sponsored Links