March 28, 2024, 07:03:40 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: pure oxygen with gasoline combustion???  (Read 12632 times)

MEET

pure oxygen with gasoline combustion???
« on: March 27, 2004, 07:08:15 PM »
Hey guys,

I have this really cool project that I'm doing in chemistry class. Havin trouble though, please help me out, this is all of the info that I was presented with and must complete a formal report on it.

problem:

a concerned environmentalist wants to eliminate nitrous oxides NOx emmssions that occur when gasoline is burned with air. To solve this problem the environmentalists want to burn gas with pure oxygen in his vehicle. Fin the amount of oxygen required for the vehicle to travel 1000 km and the size of the tank compared to the vehicle if the oxygen is stored at STP.

thanks a lot all,

MEET

Offline gregpawin

• Cradle Bandit
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-5
  • Ebichu chu chu chuses you!
Re:pure oxygen with gasoline combustion???
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 07:55:09 PM »
Hmm... this problem has quite a few variables.  First of all, what's the percentage and chemical makeup of the impurities in the gasoline?  From there you can calculate the relationship between mass of fuel and supplied energy.

Hmm.. I guess this kind of problem, if you get down to it, can have a whole bunch variables depending on how exact you want the calculation to be.

I mean, do you want to get there in a minute or a year?  Is there friction involved?  Air drag?  Engine efficency?  Minimum weight of vehicle?

More than anything this is a physical problem.  More information is necessary to simplify or find the exact number.
I've got nothin'

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 08:54:11 PM »
Think essentially the amount of oxygen needed to power the car for 1000km is the same regardless if air or pure oxygen used.. cuz I dont think that the formation of NOx uses up significant proportion of oxygen in the air.. cuz it's so much easier for the oxygen to react with the fuel than to react with nitrogen.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 12:57:09 AM »
You need both composition and consumption gasoline.
Car gasoline always contains traces of nitrogen and sulfur, and oxygen which is produced from liquid air also will be contaminated by nitrogen or wiil be extremely expensive because traces of oxygen can be easily removed from nitrogen gas, but not inversely.
Moreover, combustion of fuel in oxygen produces much  higher temperature and these traces of
nitrogen probably can produce more NOs then during combustion in air.

AWK
AWK

Sponsored Links