April 19, 2024, 03:12:40 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: synthesis of copper iodide using copper wire, iodine and sodium iodide  (Read 3378 times)

Offline Novia

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I did an experiment about synthesis of copper iodide using copper wire, iodine and sodium iodide. The reaction equation provided is 2Cu + I2 :rarrow: 2CuI . I have some questions about this.
1. Teacher said sodium iodide has 2 roles in this experiment, I know that one role is to dissolve iodine, what is the other role of it?
2. Why I2 can react with copper to form CuI, but I- from NaI will not react with copper?

Thank you.

Mod edit: fixed right arrow typo
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 03:10:56 AM by billnotgatez »

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: synthesis of copper iodide using copper wire, iodine and sodium iodide
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 03:32:22 AM »
What were your observations? What happened during the experiment? What form is the CuI?

Do you know what a redox process is?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Novia

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: synthesis of copper iodide using copper wire, iodine and sodium iodide
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 04:48:15 AM »
What were your observations? What happened during the experiment? What form is the CuI?

Do you know what a redox process is?
the solution containing iodine and sodium iodide changed colour from brown to colorless after heating with copper wire,meaning all I2 have been reacted with copper to form CuI.
the CuI obtained was in aq form and precipitate out after cooling in cold water.
Now I understand why NaI will not react with Cu, because this is a redox reaction, Cu is being oxidized, meaning I need to be reduced, but I in NaI cannot be reduced.

But I still cannot find out the second role of NaI other than helping to dissolve I2

Sponsored Links