April 27, 2024, 06:25:48 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: normality of a solution  (Read 2168 times)

Offline bakedpotato

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
normality of a solution
« on: October 29, 2017, 02:31:14 AM »
Hi,

I have a project where I have to develop reversal film and the process calls for a bleach solution based on potassium dichromate.
I am trying to figure out how to convert a recipe that uses potassium dichromate crystals. Potassium dichromate is very toxic and I would prefer to manipulate the chemical in a liquid state.

The chemical recipe calls for

1200ml  distilled water
70ml     50% Sulfuric Acid
15g      potassium dichromate crystals
           water to make 1500ml

The available potassium dichromate solution concentrations are:

product#1: 0.1000N ±0.0005N (0.0167M)
and
product#2: 0.200N ±0.001N (0.0333M)

How can I find how much solution(ml) of each of the K dichromate products I will need to make it equivalent to 15g of crystals diluted in ~1430ml of distilled water and 70 ml of acid.

I need to end up with 1,5L of total solution as this is the min size of the bath and maximum size of the storage container.

Any help is welcome!

Thanyou

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: normality of a solution
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 03:49:19 AM »
Potassium dichromate is very toxic and I would prefer to manipulate the chemical in a liquid state.

While it is definitely toxic, don't panic. I worked with the dichromate in the past. With a minimum precautions and in the case of a single use (ie you will be not working with it on a daily basis for months) it is quite safe. Use gloves, avoid breathing the dust - and it is not a a substance that has tendency to become airborne, just don't throw it in the air. In the case of this particular recipe I would be more careful when measuring and adding the 50% sulfuric acid.

Solutions you have listed

product#1: 0.1000N ±0.0005N (0.0167M)
and
product#2: 0.200N ±0.001N (0.0333M)

are probably quite expensive compared to the solid, as preparing solutions of precisely known concentrations is labor expensive.

That being said - it is a simple dilution, so calculations are rather easy. Just calculate what volume of the available solutions contain 15 g of dichromate, following the usual path - mass -> moles -> volume.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline bakedpotato

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 11:35:21 PM »
Thanks for your response Borek.

I will use the crystals as they are cheaper and will take every precaution while manipulating the chemicals.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 04:34:53 AM »
Don't get crazy about it - common sense is all you need. Apron, glasses, gloves and working under fume hood (or in open) are perfectly enough.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links