April 20, 2024, 07:14:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Is this (graphic) mnemonic image of a galvanic cell or could it be electrolytic?  (Read 4576 times)

Offline Schwarz107

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
I am reading about "galvanic cells", and I am thinking about using this graphic picture to memorize it. As graphic pictures stick better. But could this picture also be the representation of an electrolytic cell?

I see there is a porous plate between them, and I suppose such a porous plate isn't required in an electrolytic cell.

Why do I think so? Because here is a picture of an electrolytic cell without a porous membrane or salt bridge.
But, alas. Here is a picture of a galvanic cell and an electrolytic cell that both have salt bridges (which makes everything unclear, as I cannot be sure that having a salt bridge means it is an electrolytic cell, and not having it means it's galvanic)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 05:11:51 PM by Schwarz107 »

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
Unfortunately life isn't that simple. A salt bridge is used when you have two different electrolyte solutions that you don't want to mix (for example, because the redox reaction you want to happen at the electrodes would occur in solution if the reagents encountered each other). That may be in a galvanic or an electrolytic cell.

Sponsored Links