April 25, 2024, 03:45:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Nicotine Vapor Micron Size?...  (Read 5591 times)

Offline SomethingRandom

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Nicotine Vapor Micron Size?...
« on: November 14, 2017, 03:33:52 PM »
Hello All,

New to the forums so forgive me for my lack of knowledge when it comes to chemistry. I'm writing this post because I haven't been able to find out the micron size of an aerosolized nicotine molecule.

I need this information because I'm looking to purchase a Respirator to wear while I mix e-liquids.

I looked over a Nicotine MSDS many a time, to no avail. The MSDS doesn't list the micron size, or it lists it in terms that I can't translate. A simple google search turns up nothing. I'll link the MSDS Report below in case any of you want to make me feel stupid...

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9926222

All info I've found has told me to get the "3M" Respirator, or a "Hepa"Filter. That's all very helpful, but I need to know what model/type to get because they're all made for different situations.

TL;DR

If I can find the micron size of Nicotine, I can narrow my search for a proper respirator.

Any and all help is MUCH appreciated.

Thanks

Offline silverz89

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
Re: Nicotine Vapor Micron Size?...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 05:29:04 PM »
you'll want an organic vapor cartridge and half mask respirator. nicotine is an organic molecule so similarly to when you work with paints or other VOC's, the organic vapor cartridge will give you much much better filtration than a particle filter. A particle filter is essentially useless for filtering organic vapors i would not recommend using it. Make sure you have good ventilation and time your nicotine addition steps to coincide with lower temperatures in the formulation process to minimize the vapor pressure of nicotine as well as the formation of nicotine oxides.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AEFCKKY/ref=b2b_gw_d_bia_0_a1_1_p/137-2370005-7374311?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00AEFCKKY&pd_rd_r=0GZ74FQE1CG0T4Q8K359&pd_rd_w=KJywM&pd_rd_wg=RTO5O&pf_rd_i=b2b-desktop&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0GZ74FQE1CG0T4Q8K359&pf_rd_t=ABGateway&refRID=0GZ74FQE1CG0T4Q8K359

Here is an example of one such filter cartridge. It will probably show you that the half mask is 'frequently purchased' with this item.

Disclosure: I have consulted for nicotine e-liquid manufacturers, and have formulated my own e liquids at home.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 05:40:40 PM »
I'm sorry you've had poor results so far, but your question is hard to parse.  You seem to be missing on some very basic knowledge, or leaving out some process steps, or ... something.  Let's try to work with what you've said ...

Hello All,

New to the forums so forgive me for my lack of knowledge when it comes to chemistry. I'm writing this post because

*SIGH*  I just don't know what to do when a post starts out like this.  No one knows everything, but there's no reason to attack your own inexperience like this.  Unless, you want sympathy, so we never correct a bad idea of yours.  In which case, shame on you for trying to manipulate us in that way.

I haven't been able to find out the micron size of an

Sizes are reported for many things, lets see how fortunate we are with the items in question.

aerosolized

Oh good.  Once we know how your nebulizer works, we'll have some sizes maybe.

nicotine molecule.

Molecules are generally sub-micron in size.

This is the problem right away.  I have to split a statement of yours into three parts, I can't say, "Yes", "No", "Bad idea" or "Try again" because one statement is made up of A half-truth, something we can work with and an illogical statement.  I recognize there can be jargon, or you haven't expressed what you mean, but again, where are you going with this.

How big is a box?  And why?

How do I get downtown, and quickly please, I'm late already.

Questions such as these can't be answered online, and yours has similar problems.

I need this information because I'm looking to purchase a Respirator to wear while I mix e-liquids.

There may be occupational standards.  You should look them up and follow them.  When you're mixing liquids, how are they aresolized?  How do you know nicotine molecules are flying around?  What would make them leave?  Why not mix in a closed box?

I looked over a Nicotine MSDS many a time, to no avail. The MSDS doesn't list the micron size, or it lists it in terms that I can't translate. A simple google search turns up nothing. I'll link the MSDS Report below in case any of you want to make me feel stupid...

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9926222

Micron size may be listed for some things, but not for nicotine.  Can you see why?

All info I've found has told me to get the "3M" Respirator, or a "Hepa"Filter. That's all very helpful, but I need to know what model/type to get because they're all made for different situations.

OK.  What do those do?  What models are there, and what situations do they cover?  And why don't they cover yours?  And how do you know that they don't cover your situation?
TL;DR

If I can find the micron size of Nicotine, I can narrow my search for a proper respirator.

I'm still stuck grasping at the concept.
Any and all help is MUCH appreciated.

Thanks

We have much work to do.  But lets try working with what occupation safety sources say you should have.

[EDIT]
silverz89: was able to provide you with some specific help.  Notice: micron size of nicotine molecule isn't in their response.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline SomethingRandom

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 05:45:32 PM »
You sir, are a life saver. I figured it would be something like that, organic vapor cartridge, but I didn't want to jump the gun and buy the wrong thing.

The room I plan on mixing in usually stays around 60-69 degrees Fahrenheit, so that should suffice in terms of keeping everything at a low temperature.

Thanks for the advice!

Sponsored Links