April 28, 2024, 08:43:35 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Absorption - Adsorption and Desorption  (Read 2658 times)

Offline murat.isler

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Absorption - Adsorption and Desorption
« on: November 02, 2017, 10:50:06 AM »
Hello there,

Let's assume that we have adsorbent, absorbent and a molecule(Y) is adsorbate and absorbate in a cup. I wonder that, is that possible to make something like that, when we heat up the mixture, Y will be boiled and adsorbed with adsorbent then when we cool down the mixture Y will be absorbed with absorbent, also cycle should be repeated.
If yes may someone share an example about it.

Thank you in advance.

Offline murat.isler

Re: Absorption - Adsorption and Desorption
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 05:07:39 AM »
Did i open that topic in a wrong place?

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 06:08:42 AM »
No, its fine here, but a picture would really help out. This is a very hard for me to follow, which is the nature of sentences with both adsorbent and absorbent in them.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 06:55:01 AM »
We like to help, and we realize that sometimes we face a slight language barrier, but some things are too hard to parse.  It think we were all waiting for you to realize this state of affairs, and try to say your same question, in a different way.  Let's work together.

Hello there,

Let's assume that we have adsorbent, absorbent and a molecule(Y) is adsorbate and absorbate in a cup.

Why do you say adsorbant and absorbant  and adsorbate and absorbate?  Do you mean that there are literally bimodal properties, but distinct for each substance?  Define them for us specifically.  Maybe instead you can give examples?  Maybe when you try, you won't be able to find substances that are 100% adsorbent while still 0% absorbent, for a particular substance.

I wonder that, is that possible to make something like that, when we heat up the mixture, Y will be boiled and adsorbed with adsorbent then when we cool down the mixture Y will be absorbed with absorbent, also cycle should be repeated.

O...kay.  Urm...even more hypothetical than the example above.  Hrm.  OK, lets try this -- what is the physical chemical mechanism that is distinct to separate adsorbent and absorbent?  And can they be distinct according to temperature?

If yes may someone share an example about it.

Its not a requirement, but if you feel like it, for such a hypothetical process, you could explain why you want this.  Could it be some sort of engine?  Free energy?  Something like that?

Thank you in advance.

Believe it or not, we're here to help.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 08:45:47 AM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline murat.isler

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 01:28:19 AM »
Thank you for your interest,

So i'm trying to find phase changing heat storage material,
I'm going to write more detailly, sorry about that.

For example we have zeolith, Lithium Bromide and water,
I think that due to molecular forces at the begining LiBr and water will make an aqueous solution. So when we heat up the solution enough, water will be boiled and then water in gas phase will be captured by zeolith (while temperature is higher than boiling point). After while when we cool down the solution, will LiBr and water make a solution again? Can we repeat it again and again?

Thank you,

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 08:55:29 AM »
Thank you for your interest,

So i'm trying to find phase changing heat storage material,
I'm going to write more detailly, sorry about that.

Highly speculative proposal of yours, here.  But lets work with what you know.

For example we have zeolith, Lithium Bromide and water,

This is clear and easy to understand.

I think that due to molecular forces at the begining LiBr and water will make an aqueous solution.

Uh ... yeah.  This doesn't say much, right here.  I feel like I must tell you so.  An water soluble salt and water can make an aqueous solution.  Molecular forces are things, but they don't really enter the discussion specifically.

Listen, using biochemical reactions, a calcium gradient across a bi-layer membrane drives protein sliding and contracting to counter gravitational forces ...

What I just said is I can get up out of my chair.  I just layered a variety of processes on it.  That doesn't make the discussion more deep or more apt.  Just more complicated.  Try to recognize this.

So when we heat up the solution enough, water will be boiled and then water in gas phase will be captured by zeolith (while temperature is higher than boiling point).

Yes.  This physical process is understood.

After while when we cool down the solution, will LiBr and water make a solution again? Can we repeat it again and again?

There is no guarantee the zeolite will release all the water again.

Thank you,

Consider this.  In a closed container without zeolite, you can boil a salt solution, then condense and redissolve a salt solution.  But why?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links