March 29, 2024, 05:29:18 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Major help needed - MSc Chemical Research Organic Chemistry questions  (Read 3245 times)

Offline GuledAbu

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi all,

New to this forum. I have a set of  3 questions which I have been struggling with lately to find a solution to and was wondering if any of you guys could help me answer them or provide me with ideas? The questions are involved around organometallics in organic synthesis. The module itself is a catalysis module which I just finished and now I'm trying to get to grips with the possible exam questions coming my way. The exam itself is not far away! So any solutions will help me with my revision going forward. Any help given is greatly appreciated! I have attached the questions in pdf file! If you wish to email me, you are free to do so!

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 08:54:05 PM by Arkcon »

Offline zarhym

• Mole Snacks: +14/-1
    • Linkedin
Re: Major help needed - MSc Chemical Research Organic Chemistry questions
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 02:11:37 AM »
First of all, it has been several years since I had my organometallics. I'll try to provide some understanding of mine.

The first question I would search alkene migration as the key words. I would guess this migration is caused by the intermediate in which the lithium is attached to the oxygen, which eventually leads to the Z conformation of the double bond in the product.

The second one I would do the synthesis by attaching hydroxyl chain first. The acidic hydrogen on alkyne should make this reaction feasible. Then, under basic condition, the hydroxyl gourp will lost a proton, which could be able to occupy an empty orbital of the copper atom in the catalytic cycle. In this case, the addition of the activated alkyne could only happened though the open site.

The third one is from a reported literature. You can read the literature and understand the catalytic cycle of this reaction. check the link below.

http://sci-hub.tw/http://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/jacs.5b08914

Sponsored Links