March 29, 2024, 10:47:14 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What is MULTI-PARTICULATES?  (Read 2778 times)

Offline LiOH

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What is MULTI-PARTICULATES?
« on: December 05, 2017, 02:34:10 PM »
Hello, guys! I am reading a patent information on some drug, and there I find next paragraphs:

1. The object of the present invention is to provide extended release capsules comprising multiple units of Doxorubicin, wherein the multiple units are in form of PELLET OR SPHERE.

2. Another object of the present invention is to provide extended release capsules comprising multiple units of Doxorubicin, wherein the multiple units are in form of MULTI-PARTICULATES.

What do they mean under multi-particulates? Is this just particles of random form or something of the sort?

Thank you.

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
Re: What is MULTI-PARTICULATES?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 05:43:39 AM »
I think it means an agglomeration of particulates that make bigger particles that are capable of breaking up into lots of little particulates when swallowed or dispersed.

OK - I typed Multiparticulates in to google and it seems that it is a form of particular agglomeration as I suggested. It is as the name suggests..  multiple particles.
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: What is MULTI-PARTICULATES?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 06:36:32 AM »
From poking around on Google, it seems like it means those tiny spheres you find inside a gelatin capsule, so multi-particulates are some sort of type of those.  Smaller?  Larger?  Different coating?  Different forming method?

That's the thing about patents.  I always say that they're specifically written to be as obtuse and convoluted as possible, so as to cover all possibilities, and yet not be easily copy-able.  When someone reads one, and wants to use it to develop a scientific process or analytical method -- they are out of their league unless they already have good knowledge of the topic. 

Even then -- taking this example:  pellets or spheres or multiparticulates, which one is better?  You have to determine that for your application.  Which one will you use?  Doesn't matter, they said it first, so you have to pay them when you sell it.  Which do they use, and how do they make them?  That's a trade secret.  Which one don't they use, and why not?  None of your business.  Well, my formulation relies on my method of doing it, so now I can do what they can't so ... .  So what, they said it first, shut up, and pay them.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links