March 28, 2024, 02:43:13 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: "grn cub cry or powder" - Meaning?  (Read 3722 times)

tonymontana09

"grn cub cry or powder" - Meaning?
« on: December 09, 2017, 02:52:31 PM »
Hi!

In the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 97th Edition , on the Manganese(II) oxide line, I have found that the physical form is "grn cub cry or powder", but what does it mean?  ???

Thanks!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: "grn cub cry or powder" - Meaning?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 04:55:28 PM »
Hi there.  There's lots you can do to help you figure out what it means.  First off, the columns are narrow, so you can expect they are abbreviations.  There may be headers or footnotes on some pages explaining the abbreviations.  You can see that "cry" for example, appears in every entry you've photographed, so maybe, if the abbreviation is so common, it means something very intuitive?

You could have gotten a simpler and quicker answer, but I wanted to ask you to try and figure it out for yourself.  That's what we do here on the Chemical Forums.  We don't just dump answers, we try to help you help yourself.  This is all written down in our Forum Rules{click}.  You already accepted the rules when you signed up for our forum, and you have to follow them, whether you agree with them or not, or even if you're unaware of them.  We want to see you do some work, on your own, and we'll help.  We don't dump complete answers, for anyone, not for a high school student, nor a hard-working professional, nor even the home chemist working on their newest invention.

So why not take a guess, and we'll let you now if you're on the right track, or if there's another way you should look at it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 02:56:49 PM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: "grn cub cry or powder" - Meaning?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 06:22:41 AM »
Or check at the beginning or end of the table if there is a list of abbreviations.

But, yes, guessing looks accessible. "Grn" could be in the family of wh and pink, cub would belong with orth and hex, and so on. By comparison with the other lines.

Sponsored Links