March 28, 2024, 06:35:00 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Want to get start home made paper manufacturing  (Read 5781 times)

annyfarzana

Want to get start home made paper manufacturing
« on: June 20, 2006, 03:59:19 PM »
Hi,
I am a student of Chemical Engineering. I've almost completed my graduation. Now I want to start a small business of manufacturing home made recycle paper. I need information about its demand and what equipments are very much essential for making home made paper. Is it possible to make white color paper ? Will anyone can explain me the steps of making smooth home made paper, please.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Want to get start home made paper manufacturing
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 04:04:05 PM »
Sorry to rant, but - as an almost graduate Chemical Engineer - aren't you supposed to know where to look for such information?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 06:13:21 AM »
I used to do work experience over the summer holidays in a paper mill.  (we actually made massive rolls of tisse, but the principles are the same)

For white paper, you need to bleach your pulp (and possibly add a little TiO2 for bright white, or atandard white dyes).  For other colours - use dyes.

Making the pulp should be easy - it is then watered right down and passed through mesh untill the appropriate thickness is aquired.     For smooth paper - I would assume that you would need a finer particle size in your pulp (filter the diluted pulp?).   Hardest part will be getting a smooth even layer on the mesh - practice should get you there.   I think some may add a little binder to the pulp/dye/water mix to make the paper stronger.

I think I might try it too sometime.       :)

Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 12:44:14 PM »
No it will need some bleech, some white pigment/filler some optical brightening agents and possibly some shading dye.

It is not possible to make white paper with bleech alone. 
If you try it you'll get a dull pale yellow/grey colour.

Just about all commcerial white paper uses optical brightening agents to give the bright white colour.

Sponsored Links