March 29, 2024, 03:57:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Thread Removal Request  (Read 8756 times)

Offline velvetlight

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Thread Removal Request
« on: December 27, 2017, 11:25:37 PM »
Hi,

I made a thread on here a number of years ago using my real name. I no longer have access to the account but the thread is still viewable. Is it possible to have it removed? (The thread didn't get any replies).

If so, is there a way I can PM the thread to a mod?

Thank you

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Thread Removal Request
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 08:25:54 AM »
We almost never do this -- its part of our rules, we're serious about helping, and we like a trail that's permanent.  There's no real way for us to tell if the forgotten thread you're talking about is even really yours.  If its been here for a long time, Google and the Way Back machine have likely already indexed it.  So we can't even solve that problem for you.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline velvetlight

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 10:24:17 AM »
Thank you for your reply.

I have to say, I'm not quite sure I understand why this is an issue as I've had other forums remove posts without a problem.

The original post is from 8 years ago and the only post on the account. The topic was pretty much a throw away question. Even if I wasn't the same person, I hardly doubt the original poster would care. Saying that, as the forum logs IPs, you will be able to see that I am at least in the same area as the original poster. I can also PM you the email address that would have been associated with the account and any other identifying details you might think of.

Regarding Google, once a post is edited it can be removed from search results using the search console (the cached page is updated). The Wayback machine also removes pages at request, though I hardly think a page being indexed there would be an issue as you would have to have a link to the page and not just search my name.

While I perhaps understand wishing to preserve the board, would it possible to at least change the username of my old account?

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 03:40:52 PM »
Even if I wasn't the same person, I hardly doubt the original poster would care.

I would dislike it if someone else came to a forum and obtained the deletion of my posts, even after eight years. I would equally dislike if my username were changed on someone else's request. It does matter that it's the original author who asks it, and to be sure of that.

Imagine that an 8 year old post expressed an idea that can't hence be patented now -  just as an example. There are plenty of ideas here, for instance as synthesis steps.

Offline velvetlight

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 04:25:01 PM »
Even if I wasn't the same person, I hardly doubt the original poster would care.

I would dislike it if someone else came to a forum and obtained the deletion of my posts, even after eight years. I would equally dislike if my username were changed on someone else's request. It does matter that it's the original author who asks it, and to be sure of that.

Imagine that an 8 year old post expressed an idea that can't hence be patented now -  just as an example. There are plenty of ideas here, for instance as synthesis steps.

While I understand your point, if you saw my original post you would realise that this is not a potential issue as it was a throwaway question regarding something I saw in the media. No new insights offered unfortunately!

I'm happy to do whatever it takes to prove I am the same person. The moderators can even just reactive the account and I will be able to login.

Sponsored Links