April 23, 2024, 08:46:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Stupid Americans? Or just a joke?  (Read 9131 times)

Offline mir

• Fascinated organic chemist
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +13/-3
  • Visit my blog: mir.humle.be
    • My humble homepage with norwegian articles
Stupid Americans? Or just a joke?
« on: March 24, 2007, 02:51:46 PM »
A guy from "CNNNN" went out and interviewed random(?) Americans from the streets about the world and everything:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYmTEmUYj_8&mode=related&search=

So, please tell me this is a practical joke! Plz say that they did 500 interviews and picked out the most stupid ones for this 7 minute show. Or maybe they are actors all together?

In Norwegian discussion forums and Blogs there is a lot of prejudiced meanings about USA. Is this the situation everywhere in Europe?
No single thing abides, but all things flow.
Fragment to fragment clings, and thus they grow
Until we know and name them.
Then by degrees they change and are no more
The things we know.
- Titus Lucretius Carus

http://www.ife.no

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Stupid Americans? Or just a joke?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 04:27:39 PM »
I would be shocked if those were typical responses to the questions. I think they've just picked the stupidest answers. I loved it when they had to put pins on a map of countries that they thought the USA should invade - and they didn't notice that South Korea on the map was Australia mislabelled. I'm not claiming to be good on geography, but seriously.

As far a predjudice towards americans goes, here in england, americans are stereotyped as stupid.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 04:37:47 PM »
If you are asking whether you should believe everything you see on TV, then a bit more reflection on that question would be prudent.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 07:23:53 PM »
I'm sure they did pick out the stupidest answers.

However, I'm also sure that the average USA-ian knows much less about the rest of the world than is true in other countries, there really is a widespread attitude that the rest of the world doesn't count for anything.

Offline joeflsts

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
  • Ten fingers.. ten toes... PHEW!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 08:43:07 PM »
Yes that attitude does exist in America.  I have lived abroad and must tell you that the quality of life in America is better for the most part (from my perspective).  There are Europeans that think Americans are stupid, this isn't something new.  20 years ago I was able to spend about a 15 minute ride in a gondola with two brits that decided it was bash America time.  I listened to them for about 10 minutes and when one of them asked what I thought I told him simply that I was an American and while his opinion was very important to him it didn't much matter to me.  He apoloigized for the next 5 minutes.

It is pretty simple guys - America is a country that is comprised of people that are proud of who they are.  America is a country that is comprised of people that are not proud of who they are.  Now substitue America with ANY country and you'll start to get the picture.

Joe

Offline Ψ×Ψ

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +8/-4
  • ooh, shiny!
    • carbon-based curiosities
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 08:59:18 PM »
*smacks forehead*
Can I pretend to be Canadian?

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 09:04:11 PM »
Really, it is semi fake and a vicious cycle, and probably one of the main things driving American opinion away from other countries.

For a long time other countries have had the opinion that Americans and America is stupid. This from the past is totally based on political propaganda, but political propaganda works.

Now you have people pointing out our own stupidest. We do it to, to laugh at our selves. However, with this video type, really, in takes interviewing hundreds of people to find people that either are that totally stupid, or money to act that stupid.

The problem is, that I have seen video from shows from other countries that do the same thing here, and then claim that is the common American intellect, and claim it would be impossible to do that with their fellow country men, and really pretend that the 10 people you see was the only 10 they interview, not 100's. Yet, there have been plenty of video responses to that, by Americans, doing the same thing in those countries.

Americans hate other countries for doing that, and basically making it like they are claiming and proving Americans are so stupid, but it is nothing more then a trick and lots of editing; while saying that it is impossible to happen in their own country. This comes off as very arrogant, righteous, misleading and insulting. This leads towards the bad/arrogant attitude many Americans have towards other countries, and people from other countries just respond again with more of the same stuff. Rinse and repeat.

I am under the opinion that most people in the entire world are freakin idiots, and country does not matter; and that maybe a big meteor hitting the earth reducing the population down to a few million and try starting over again might not be such a bad idea.

But really, it is interviewing hundreds of people to find stupid ones, paying them, or finding people that just caves under the pressure of the camera. It is sad that people from other countries believe it….but then again it is sad some of the misconceptions many people here have about people from other countries. Big ole misconceptions all around. Hell, our own country (America) is filled with nothing but misconceptions about different locals here in America (north/south for instance).

I think that is probably the biggest tragedy of the internet, this easy way to spread knowledge about anything, and some many people from everywhere still have major misconceptions about other people, and act and respond based of those misconceptions.

It sucks. The human race sucks.

*and note* As far as not knowing the much about other countries politics and such, while I like to know. I find it down right annoying when I hear people from other countries complaining that Americans do not know who their leader(s) are, or what currency they use, or their major religion and language.

You know why you know that much about us? Because you people buy or products, and for some strange reason are actually interested in our country and "celebrities" and such. You folks are the stupid one, paying attention to our crap like that! How come you people do not know who the leader of Lesotho is, its history, religion or language. Blaming us for not know much about your country is just stupid as hell, it is not our fault you are interested in our country. You do knot know anyhing about Lesotho, it is no different, get over it!

But I personally enjoy knowing...to each is own.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 09:11:29 PM by enahs »

Offline joeflsts

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
  • Ten fingers.. ten toes... PHEW!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 09:24:56 PM »
Yeah, I guess the human race sucks.. but you know - I'm damn glad I had the opportunity to read your post.  Being alive is pretty cool.

Joe

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 09:50:22 PM »
Yeah, I guess the human race sucks.. but you know - I'm damn glad I had the opportunity to read your post.  Being alive is pretty cool.

Sanity has no place in a response to me!  ;D

Sponsored Links