April 29, 2024, 12:06:29 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: The products from the reaction of cuprous iodide and iodine  (Read 6682 times)

leonardo

Hello,

We recently did an experiment in class but I am unsure about one of the reactions. Firstly, we added copper nitrate and potassium iodide together - 2Cu2+ [aq] + 4I- [aq] --> 2CuI + I2 [aq]. Then we added CuI and I2 in an ethanol solution together. We were then suppose to test for copper and iodine ions and diatomic iodide. What would be the products of the second reaction? Would it be simply the reverse of the first equation? The experiment didnt actually work out as there was not enough CuI precipitate to react with the iodine in ethanol but I cant assess the validity until I know what the products of the second reaction theoretically should have been. Thank you for your *delete me*  :)

Offline Stewed_ant

• Mole Snacks: +8/-4
  • The original Arabian Alchemist (student).
Re: The products from the reaction of cuprous iodide and iodine
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 01:12:28 PM »
The first thing you should note in your report is that the experiment was unsuccesful because of the lack of percipitate.

Sure this might sound bad, but teachers actually like you to write this sort of thing, it makes you look like a real scientist to tell the truth in your reports, but you have to note what you think went wrong and why. That's testing the validity isn't it.

As for the products of the second reaction my hunch is that you are right,  but i cant be absolutely sure, all i can say to offer some help is that Iodine/iodide is yellow/brown.

anyone wtih more experience able to help?  ???
"Where you just going to use a bunsun burner to heat up the petrol??!!!!?" - Demonstrator

"Umm... no?" -Me . minutes later, "few!"
-------
Happiness is a stable octet!

Offline cuongt

• Mole Snacks: +15/-22
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 07:35:21 PM »
The first thing you should note in your report is that the experiment was unsuccesful because of the lack of percipitate.

i neva write the experiment was unsuccessful cause i always think that teacher will be like. he didnt understand prac, he is stupid lol. i always copy friends results if mine goes wrong and same goes for them.

Offline Stewed_ant

• Mole Snacks: +8/-4
  • The original Arabian Alchemist (student).
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 12:24:13 PM »
Well to be perfectly honest, i outline why the experiment went wrong when i can't find some good data   :-[ I try make it sound as sciency as possible, but don't learn from my example.. i'm still just a kid too. :-\
"Where you just going to use a bunsun burner to heat up the petrol??!!!!?" - Demonstrator

"Umm... no?" -Me . minutes later, "few!"
-------
Happiness is a stable octet!

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 12:46:37 PM »
Well to be perfectly honest, i outline why the experiment went wrong when i can't find some good data   :-[ I try make it sound as sciency as possible, but don't learn from my example.. i'm still just a kid too. :-\

That's the right call.

A fundamental (maybe THE fundamental) part of science is reporting the observations you actually saw.  That is how the truth is discovered.  Sometimes the reality doesn't match the 'theory'.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 02:29:29 AM »
Hello,

We recently did an experiment in class but I am unsure about one of the reactions. Firstly, we added copper nitrate and potassium iodide together - 2Cu2+ [aq] + 4I- [aq] --> 2CuI + I2 [aq]. Then we added CuI and I2 in an ethanol solution together. We were then suppose to test for copper and iodine ions and diatomic iodide. What would be the products of the second reaction? Would it be simply the reverse of the first equation? The experiment didnt actually work out as there was not enough CuI precipitate to react with the iodine in ethanol but I cant assess the validity until I know what the products of the second reaction theoretically should have been. Thank you for your *delete me*  :)
Iodine simply forms solution in ethanol, and then you can see almost white solid CuI..
AWK

Sponsored Links