April 20, 2024, 04:27:20 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Optimisation of the outer surface thickness of a furnace  (Read 6271 times)

Offline Bibinou

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
  • I'm a mole!
Optimisation of the outer surface thickness of a furnace
« on: June 20, 2006, 10:23:36 AM »
Hello,

in order to prepare my transfer exam, I decided to prepare by attempting this exercise. However, I encountered problem in resolving it.

One is required to construct a furnace with with a refractory (heat resistant) material . This material remains solid at high temperature but it is not necessay a good heat insulating material. The heat conductivity of the refractory material is 1.5 W m-1K-1. The temperature inside the furnace can reach a maximum of 1400K and the temperature of the outer surface area must remain constant at 300K. The estimated heat heat loss at the outer surface area is 5000W/m2.

a) What is the thickness of the outer wall?

b) We have at disposal refractory bricks of 15cm thickness. In order to have an minimum thickness of the outer surface, one will use only one partition of refractory bricks and we will complete this 15cm thickness with a insulating material of  0.3 W.m-1K-1. A good thermal insulator is not ncessary a refractory material. The contact temperature between the refractory material and the insultaing material should be such that Tcontact < Tfusion of the insulating material.

- Determine Tcontact?
- Deduce the range of Tfusion
- Determine the thickness of the insulating material
- Deduce the total thickness (refractory material and insulating material) of the outer surface for a heat loss 5000 W/m².

Thank you very much for your help

EDITED: For grammatical and spelling error
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 12:02:22 PM by geodome »

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re: Optimisation of the outer surface thickness of a furnace
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 12:23:19 PM »
Ref: http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=7208
4.) Please show that you've at least attempted the problem. We don't mind helping you solve problems but we are ethically opposed to doing homework for you. Violators will have their topic deleted or locked.

Refer to the above link for more information on violation of forum policy.

For the benefit of the doubt, I shall answer some part of your question.

1. I guess Tfusion of a substance refers to its melting point

2. Assume negligble heat transfer by radiation to simplify my calculations (although the furnance combustion chamber is capable of reaching 1400K)

3. Assume linear temperature profile within the each layer.

Part (a) requires you to calculate the thickness of the single-layered wall made of of refractory material.The internal temperature of the wall is 1400K and the external wall temperature is 300K. Since the temperature profile of wall is assumed linear, using Fourier's Law for single-dimension heat diffusion, can you work out the thickness?

Part (b) is just a multi-layered wall problem. It is conceptually similar to part (a)
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 06:46:55 PM »
To solve (a),

According to Fourier's Law, q = -k.(dT/dX) where
k is conductivity
q is heat flux

dT/dX = ?T/?X for linear profile where
?X is the thickness of wall
?T is the temperature difference between the external surface and internal surface.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 07:02:47 PM »
For (b), the furnace wall consist of 2 layers.

The internal layer is made of refractory brick and the external layer is made of the insulating material. The outer surface temperature of the insulating material is 300K and the internal surface area of the refractory material is 1400K.

Tcontact refers to the temperature of the interface between the refractory material and the insulating material. The refractory material is 15cm thick. The thickness of the insulating material is such that the heat loss remains at 5000W/m2. At steady state, the heat loss of refractory layer equals to the heat loss of the insulating layer.

Hence, qR = qI = 5000W/m2 where
q is heat flux
R is refractory layer
I is insulating layer

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 11:22:13 AM »
Bibinou, have you derrived the required thickness already?

1. -kR(?T/?X )R = 5000
2. -kI(?T/?X )I = 5000

Solving Equation 1 gives you the intermediate temperature.

Solving Equation 2 gives you the thickness of the insulating layer.

You must solve Equation 1 before Equation 2.

Sponsored Links