March 28, 2024, 04:34:25 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What makes amines reducing agent ?  (Read 3298 times)

Offline xpboss

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What makes amines reducing agent ?
« on: January 18, 2018, 10:36:23 AM »
Hi,

Can you please explain to me why amines act as reducing agent, or give me a reference that explains that ?

Thanks and regards

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +135/-16
Re: What makes amines reducing agent ?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 02:54:45 AM »
Are they? cany you give example of such reaction?
Show us what you have done so far  ;)

Offline xpboss

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 05:39:25 AM »
Look up at the following paper:

Formation of Gold Nanoparticles Using Amine Reducing Agents

Offline clarkstill

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-4
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 08:50:10 AM »
A reducing agent is just a donor of electrons, and pretty much anything can act as a reducing agent, provided the species you are reducing is a strong enough oxidant. In your example, Au absolutely does not want to be at the 3+ oxidation level, and a relatively mild reductant (such as the electrons in the lone pair of an amine) will reduce it to Au(0).

If you want to understand what can and cannot act as a reductant or oxidant for a particular reaction I suggest you learn about redox potentials.

Offline xpboss

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 12:09:53 PM »
A reducing agent is just a donor of electrons, and pretty much anything can act as a reducing agent, provided the species you are reducing is a strong enough oxidant. In your example, Au absolutely does not want to be at the 3+ oxidation level, and a relatively mild reductant (such as the electrons in the lone pair of an amine) will reduce it to Au(0).

If you want to understand what can and cannot act as a reductant or oxidant for a particular reaction I suggest you learn about redox potentials.

Thanks for your reply. I do understand what are redox reactions, however, once the amine reduce the metal it turns into a radical which is not stable. Therefore, there would be a reasonable reason why it still happens. Maybe the amine overcome decomposition?

Sponsored Links